different roation rules for maplex labels

01-26-2018 01:11 AM
ThorstenBrune1
New Contributor II

Hi together

in our projects we have labels which should rotate with the data frame and some which shouldnt. It is only possible to tick the checkbox for the whole data frame, not for each feature class.

Is it possible in another way to differ between the feature classes? Or can you save the rotation for only some specific feature-classes?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

For point features you can define in the label placement an angle for the labels. If you specify an angle equal to 360 - rotation of the dataframe, the label will appear horizontal. For polygon layer, you may have to create annotations to be able to compensate or create labels points for the polygons and apply the same label placement with an angle as mentioned before.

Do you have a screenshot of what you have and can you indicate which labels should be corrected?

ThorstenBrune1
New Contributor II

In our projects we have two types of labels. The first group has a normal rotation like housenumbers in the example above. Its a point feature class which is labeled. Within the last picture the correct place of labels is shown, rotated parallel to the building edges. This rotation is displayed within the data view. In the layout view another rotation-value of the plottboxes is added to the existing angel, which looks like in the second/middle picture.

I use ArcGIS 10.4.1, basic version. Do you think the only opportunity is to subtract the angel of the data frame from the existing angel and change the value in the attribute table of the point features? Is an automatic solution in another version of ArcGIS (Editor, info) possible?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Maplex (Working with the Maplex Label Engine—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) is the engine that offers the most options for labeling and as far as I know is included in all license levels. However, when labeling a polygon you cannot influence the effect the rotation of the datafrom has on the polygon labels. A polygon can however be labeled using for instance Labeling using the Land Parcel Placement style—Help | ArcGIS Desktop . I haven't tried what the effect is of applying that placement style when the dataframe is rotated.

0 Kudos