How to manage cost of service credits for storage?

Jump to solution
08-04-2020 01:24 PM
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

We are also with a very small nonprofit with a limited budget.  We have budgeted the license fee, but the storage fee is well over $100 per year. We only have one map and a few story maps online so the fee for service credits is confusing.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Maggie Ardito‌,

You can try this out: Housekeeping - beta 

It will tell you how many credits you are using to host what content. You may be able to find some layers that you no longer need that are chewing up credits.

The credit usage is generally hosted feature layers so if you can minimize the size of those layers by removing unnecessary data it can really help with the credit usage.

If the above don't help please reach out to me and I can help you out more or can help you interpret the results.

Thanks

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Maggie! You can purchase an additional AGOL user for $100/yr which comes with 1,000 credits. It looks like you have a desktop license, which only comes with 100 AGOL Credits. To learn more about credits, check out this resource. 

MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rebecca , thanks for the quick reply... that's what we've been doing year after year, even when there is no other activity...  I thought there might be a way to reduce it a little or at least understand what goes into it so we could avoid increasing it.  And thanks for the opportunity to discuss on this forum. 

BenTurrell

Hey Maggie Ardito‌,

You can try this out: Housekeeping - beta 

It will tell you how many credits you are using to host what content. You may be able to find some layers that you no longer need that are chewing up credits.

The credit usage is generally hosted feature layers so if you can minimize the size of those layers by removing unnecessary data it can really help with the credit usage.

If the above don't help please reach out to me and I can help you out more or can help you interpret the results.

Thanks

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ben - you're right... there are 2 big files shown that I'm not sure are needed.   Now I guess it's up to me to figure out how they got there and what will happen if I remove them...  any hints appreciated.   how would I go about reaching out to you if I can't figure it out.  

0 Kudos
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

Well, I followed all instructions and cut my total storage according to housekeeping to 1/3 - and yet I am STILL getting charge the same amount
!! What's going on?  I thought i had a solution.    

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Hey Maggie Ardito‌,

Most of the credit cost comes from hosted feature layers so your ppkx would have been using credits but at only 1.2 credits per 1GB per month. Can you upload a pic of your credit usage so I can have a look?

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

File credit usage  1

I hope this is what you meant...  if not please explain.  thank you very much for your help.  as you can see I am out of credits and would love to get this solved before paying again.   credit usage 2credit usage 3

BenTurrell

Maggie Ardito‌,

Looks like this one is the culprit:

Using the 2.4 credits per 10MB a month (source) you are looking at spending 34.2 credits per month just to support that Hosted feature class. If we can make that one smaller we can save you some money. Are you able to share me the story map and the hosted feature layer so I can take a look? My ArcGIS Online username is bturrell_esriau and if your not sure how to share it with me you can use this for info: Sharing and Collaboration across ArcGIS Online Organizations 

Thanks

Ben

MaggieArdito
Occasional Contributor

It is really  nice of you to offer to help.  I know the map is big… I'll share it with you when I figure out how to do that.  Earlier I had 3 or 4 versions that size and I didn’t know how to discover which one the story maps were based on…  I finally deleted all the others and then I worked some trying to get the size of this one down before uploading to online (that’s why it has the odd name minlayers).  I’m pretty sure part of the basic problem is I don’t know how to limit the map extents in ArcgisPro properly before uploading. 

0 Kudos