Where to start?

02-19-2018 01:09 AM
BradGroceman
New Contributor II

Hello All,

New to GIS here but not software development.  I have read through the forums and seen variations of this question asked but no one answered with what I was trying to find out so here it is.  (Thanks in advance for any answers.)

I am getting batshit lost on the myriad of interlinking websites, logins, and other whoknowswhats.

I am a single user with ArcGIS Pro advanced 2.1 

I have found a few pdf driven (really well explained and illustrated) instructionals that I have been working through to start under what I think is intro-GIS stuff. 

I have also found and bookmarked 3 other "Starting point sites" on this website, or collection thereof.

They all appear to be beginner but surely they are spread over three or for different website/pages on the same company?

So, what I wanting to ask is this.

For Newbies what is the process - order - ???  to start with the material here?   Surely there is some kind of structure with this massive of software?

Secondly, as of typing this on February 19th, 2018 I cannot find any third party courses-books-videos that cover ArcGIS Pro 2.1 or similar.  I have scoured Lynda (which has the closets so far with Essentials), Safari, CBT, Packt, Udemy, etc.  Is there a single tome/course guided reference out there that is current? 

I like learning the basics and fundamentals thoroughly and at this point I think I am scattered and missing alot.

I would like to add, that I have done just a few walk through baby projects and I have not been as excited about anything since my first car 30 years ago as I am about what I see as the potential applications in my work for this software.

Thanks again in advance for any answers.

CaveSpring

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello Brad,

Have you worked on the Esri Tutorials for ArcGIS Pro? 

ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location
BradGroceman
New Contributor II

Ok, that is a 4th starting place I have now   

I just worked my way through the venice project Get Started with ArcGIS Pro | Learn ArcGIS and while I really enjoyed it I keep finding more "starting points" that look equally solid so I am confused.

Is what you put above the "Very First Step?" 

Appreciate the quick reply!

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

First step of GIS... Maybe Not

First step of ArcGIS Pro... Yes.

Think Location
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Welcome to GIS!

I think the best way is to just pick one option and start using the software.  There are many options because everyone has a different way of presenting, and a different way of learning.  You can get in as deep as you want, or just have fun with it. The Geographic information system - Wikipedia  will give you links to more info than my aging brain will absorb anymore, but you can pick and choose your topics.

There are free online courses Esri MOOC - Massive Open Online Course    that deal with more of the ArcGIS Online side of things, but Pro really has a strong tie to ArcGIS Online, so not a bad thing to feel comfortable with.  Also, there are many free one-hour videos, for all levels, that can help you get a little exposure to the terminology and features.  I find that sometimes watching one of these on a new subject helps before I read about it.  

https://www.esri.com/training/unlimited-esri-training/ 

E360 Video Search | Esri Videos    (filtered for "Pro".  There are also several youtube channels)

I agree, starting out can be overwhelming.  I've been doing this for 30+ years and there are still new technologies (e.g. Pro) that are coming out and being updated. That is, even after that many years, I am still active at learning the new technology. 

GIS is great fun.  Remember that and learn at your own pace.  Pick out something that you want to create and give it a try....and ask more questions in the forums when needed.  See https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...  

Enjoy!

BradGroceman
New Contributor II

Ok I appreciate the good information. I really am enjoying GIS and this looks to be the beginning of a great trip!

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to throw another resource into the mix, have a look at the ArcGIS Desktop page on Applied Analysis. Maybe not so much a starting place as a where to go next place--useful if the various starting materials begin to overlap and get repetitive. (And free, by the way.) Some of the applied analysis cases are more complex than others. Most have workflows for multiple applications (ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, and ArcGIS Online)--but not all, so you have to check to be sure there's an ArcGIS Pro workflow.

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brad, the resources mentioned by others are all useful. Be sure to also check out the Esri Training site, which is a collection point for many learning resources created by teams across Esri. Our top (free) web course is Getting Started with GIS. We also have a free web course called Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro. One or both of these would be a good starting point for you. You will need to login with an Esri account to access the courses, but you can use the same one you use here on GeoNet. We also have some learning plans on GIS topics you may find useful. Good luck!

BradGroceman
New Contributor II

Solved!    https://cga-download.hmdc.harvard.edu/publish_web/website_files/PDF_MISC/ArcGIS_Pro_General_Training... 

This 2018 Harvard Outline for learning ArcGIS pro is exactly what I was looking for....

Highly recommended!!!!