What tool/steps do I use to calculate percentage?

03-26-2016 06:47 AM
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I have streets and green spaces data and would like to calculate the % of the ONEWAY streets that pass by Green space and parks in the city.

My concern is that the streets are in many segments and I am afraid that the result will be wrong if the calculation uses segments of street instead of the entire street from end to end,....

Questions?

1. Do I need to dissolve streets using street name?

2. Then what tool should I use to calculate the percentage of one ways streets that pass by parks and green spaces?

3. What step do I then use to calculate the shortest distance from multiple green spaces to a single destination point? [in this case a train station].......

Please tell me if this is the right way to think about achieving these goals or  am I completely off in my thinking?

Thank you for any help.

C

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

dissolve will give you one road-one name, however, it will influence the results of the %percentage of 1 way roads that go by parks since you could have a really long road that effectively doesn't.... except for one tiny segment.

Summarize in arctoolbox will allow you to get counts and totals from which to calculate percentage... there is no percentage tool.  Routing analysis is the domain of the Network Analyst extension, which you have been referred to before.

CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Dan,

I will try that and let you know.

C

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I did produce a toolbox dealing with statistics and it does have some frequency distribution options which you may find useful

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6c384f06c9f14d09920f4ff14460f4e2

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.

C

0 Kudos