Select to view content in your preferred language

Want to create a vector based layer in ArcGis Desktop

Jump to solution
11-18-2014 11:22 AM
VernonBurt
New Contributor II

I have a basemap loaded in ArcGis desktop (from my ArcGisOnline Map) and wanted to add a new layer that would consist of 'zones' that I could query against. I can't seem to find the option to create the layer I need however, I only seem to be able to add layers from existing data. Is there a way to create a new layer I could draw the zones in?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

You will need to create a feature class and then edit it to create the features.

Start off by creating a feature class in your default database:

Go to the Catalog window and right click your default database to create a new feature class.

Create a feature class in a database in ArcGIS for Desktop

Then follow this workflow for creating features in ArcMap:

Before you create or edit features in ArcMap, you need to have an existing feature class to edit. If you do not have one, you can create a new geodatabase feature class or a shapefile in the Catalog window.

The Editor toolbar and Create Features window contain the most frequently used feature editing tools.

Once you have added the data you want to edit to ArcMap, you'll follow a basic workflow:

1. Choose the workspace and data frame you want to edit.
  2. Start an edit session (start editing).
  3. Choose a feature template and construction tool from the Create Features window.
  4. Set up additional editing properties or options, such as snapping.
  5. Create the new feature (such as by digitizing it on the map).
  6. Add or edit attributes of the feature.
  7. Save edits and stop editing.

What is editing?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

You will need to create a feature class and then edit it to create the features.

Start off by creating a feature class in your default database:

Go to the Catalog window and right click your default database to create a new feature class.

Create a feature class in a database in ArcGIS for Desktop

Then follow this workflow for creating features in ArcMap:

Before you create or edit features in ArcMap, you need to have an existing feature class to edit. If you do not have one, you can create a new geodatabase feature class or a shapefile in the Catalog window.

The Editor toolbar and Create Features window contain the most frequently used feature editing tools.

Once you have added the data you want to edit to ArcMap, you'll follow a basic workflow:

1. Choose the workspace and data frame you want to edit.
  2. Start an edit session (start editing).
  3. Choose a feature template and construction tool from the Create Features window.
  4. Set up additional editing properties or options, such as snapping.
  5. Create the new feature (such as by digitizing it on the map).
  6. Add or edit attributes of the feature.
  7. Save edits and stop editing.

What is editing?

VernonBurt
New Contributor II

I've tried the steps you mentioned into a SQL Database I'm administrator of. The following errors occur:

• No editable layers.
  • The workspace containing this data cannot be edited

I'm working out of a MSSQL database, could that be the reason?

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Possibly. I do not do a lot with SQL Databases, so I cannot answer for sure.

Enterprise GIS , Melissa Jarman , Nana Dei  - Any ideas?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

As a workaround for now, you may want to create the new feature class for your zones in a new File Geodatabase on a local hard drive, then consider moving it to a the MSSQL database after you have all the zones drawn in.

If you are going through SDE to get to the MSSQL database, it may be that there are permissions set in SDE to prevent data changes.

Chris Donohue, GISP

NanaDei
Esri Contributor

The error is being encountered as the created "spatial table" is not a geodatabase object and such tables are not directly editable within ArcMap. The current "spatial table" resides in a database which is not a geodatabase. Such "spatial tables" are termed as "query layers". You can find information about using query layers from this blog.

At ArcGIS 10.2 and above, query layers are editable using a feature enabled map service. ArcGIS Server is needed to create a feature service using the query layers. This link sheds light on authoring feature services and it has information on using a 'geodatabase' or 'database'.

The following link also has a tutorial on how to perform web editing using data from a 'database'.

From the initial problem description, one can also leverage ArcGIS Online to create a feature service. Information about creating a hosted feature service can be obtained from here.

Please let us know if the above information was helpful in reaching your goal.

Thanks