Select to view content in your preferred language

Map of where classmate are from

12-31-2015 03:45 PM
CaroleWacta
Deactivated User

Hello,

I will like to use ArcMap

1. map where all of my classmates are from on a world map...

2. also the places I have visited (for this, I will like to use line to connect the places. Just like they do with airlines and then I would like to animate it. Can anyone please point me toward the tutorials that will help me do this?

Thank you in advance

Happy new year

Carole

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Carole ... there are lots of tutorials ArcGIS tutorials—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  what you need is probably bits of several.

WesMiller
Deactivated User
ChrisSmith7
Honored Contributor

Carol,

Here's some info on number 1...

If you have a table containing address info for your classmates, you can batch geocode (at least 2500 records) for free using the Texas A&M geocoder service:

Texas A&M Geocoder - Free online geocoding

You'll want to save your data in a .csv format to process on TAMU. Once you get the lat/long data, you can insert into ArcMap. The output from TAMU, if I remember, is a flat file. ArcMap can work with this, but to make it easier for you, you may want to load the flat file data into Excel first. Here's a tutorial on how to both load and save flat files:

Import or export text (.txt or .csv) files - Excel

Here are some youtube tutorials on how to add your points to ArcMap:

How to make a shape file for Arcmap GIS using latitude longitude coordinates in an excel table - You...

Adding XY Data - YouTube

Importing GPS Coordinates from Excel into ArcMap - YouTube

TAMU should return lat/longs in decimal degree format, which is good. It should also correctly label lat/long, and ArcMap will pick-up on this by the "lat" and "long" column names. In the event they do not look right, try flipping them... this is a common mistake - just remember, lat = y; long = x for our purposes.

CaroleWacta
Deactivated User

Thank you so much,

This extremely helpful. I will follow the steps.

Christine

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos