Managing layer symbologies

02-19-2015 01:27 AM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm working with shapefiles.  I have various road shapefiles - each shapefile is a different region.  I have applied various Definition Queries and set up symbologies for one region - is there a way to automatically apply the same Definition Queries and symbology to every region?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
khadijahnas
New Contributor III

Hai Ben,

I found that you want to set up your shapefile layer in easies way without repeat doing the same way for each layer.

My humble suggestion is:

1. Save your shape file layer to the .lyr by right click on a shapefile you have done applying Definition Queries and set the symbology > click at Save as Layer File > File location. This step will create a .lyr file that carry out your layer setting.

2. Choose other shapefile layer, right click on the layer > click on properties. Layer properties window will pop out. Click on the Symbology tab You will notice that there has a note saying 'Draw all features using same symbol' and click on Import button and import the .lyr file in no 1.

3. Enjoy the result.

Regards,

khadijahnas

BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

Hai Khadijahnas

Thanks, that's helpful, but unless I'm doing something wrong that doesn't import the Definition Query - just the symbology.

Now let me have a look at Jayanta's suggestion.........

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ben,

Use a modelbuilder.

1) Iterate feature class.

2) Convert to feature layer.

3) Apply Symbology from layer.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location