I try to import a shapefile and transformed it to the right coordinate system but it doesn't fit

12-03-2015 02:01 AM
StefanSommer
New Contributor

hello....I try to import a shapefile to my layer....and I transformed it in to the right coordinate system....but the projection does not fit into the other layers...some ideas ???...thank you

Message subject/title was edited by: Melita Kennedy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LievenDE_ROO
New Contributor II

Hi Stefan,

Can you specify "the projection does not fit into the other layers"?

Is it a possibilty to import all your desired layers, shapefiles into 1 GDB?

Lieven

0 Kudos
StefanSommer
New Contributor

Thank you....It is a map that shows the borders but Arcgis place the map somwhere else first I thought it s not visible but then I zoomed to the layer and it was somwhere under the other map cheers stefan

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Transformed means you would have used the Project tool to produce a new file in the correct coordinate system.  If you used the Define Projection tool, you used the wrong tool and need to undo what you did

StefanSommer
New Contributor

Thank you....maybe I used the wrong words ... I defined a coordinate system ones I did it with in the propperties of the shapefile and ones I did it whith the Projetion tool....both time the same result : It is a map that shows the borders of the world s countries first I thought the map is not visible but then I zoomed to the layer and then I saw that Arcgis put the map somwhere under the other map....Cheers Stefan P.S. why would it be worng to use the projetion tool in that case?

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Did the shapefile already have a coordinate system? If it didn't, then you will need to figure out what the coordinate system should be. Check with the data provider first. If you can't find the information, please post the shapefile's extents (coordinates), plus the area that it represents (city, country). Also useful would be the coordinate system of your other layers.

Melita

0 Kudos
StefanSommer
New Contributor

Thank you....maybe I used the wrong words ... I defined a coordinate system ones I did it with in the propperties of the shapefile and ones I did it whith the Projetion tool....both time the same result : It is a map that shows the borders of the world s countries first I thought the map is not visible but then I zoomed to the layer and then I saw that Arcgis put the map somwhere under the other map....Cheers Stefan P.S. why would it be worng to use the projetion tool in that case?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Go to your table of contents to the left of the map.  The layers are ordered in terms of an order of priority, drag your layer to the top...it should be visible regardless of what it is, if it is visible without zooming to the layer, then your problem is solved by reordering your layers.  If it is not, then the layer is defined incorrectly.  Look at the layer's properties by right-clicking on the layer and report the extents as suggested.

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Stefan,

I think you defined the coordinate system to be the same as your other data layers (using the shapefile's property page and the Define Projection tool). Unfortunately, the shapefile is not georeferenced to that coordinate system but some other coordinate system. That's why it shows up very far away from the rest of the data. The coordinate values do not make sense for its defined coordinate system.

You will have to figure out what the coordinate system actually is. What are the extents (as Dan asked you to provide)? What region/area does the shapefile represent?

Thank you,

Melita