How to edit existing polygon data?

06-25-2020 06:21 AM
SachaRiley-Smith
New Contributor

I am looking to edit a Feature Layer that I have got from the 'All Portal' section of the Catalog. There are loads of polygons that just aren't relevant to me so I would like to delete them.

I first tried exporting the data into an excel file, made my edits and then imported it again. However now it is a 'Standalone Table' and I don't know how to add it to the actual map as polygons - first question, how do I put it back on the map?

Secondly, I tried adding it to a new map and then on the Contents Pane, Listing By Data Source. I then tried to make a new version by right clicking but all the options are greyed out and the Versions ribbon does not appear - second question, why is it greyed out? How does versioning work?

I am very new to ArcGIS Pro so any help would be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You might want to check out a new site ESRI stood up:  Learn ArcGIS   I haven't explored it at all but there is a new users section.  Also, there are specific (and free) tutorials available for you: just google ESRI Turtorials or something along those lines

I will take a moment though to try and explain a couple things:

You need to find out where the polygon data you added from 'All Portal' is actually hosted, and whether or not it is editable, and if it is, do you have the proper credentials to do so.  Exporting anything to an Excel file is only going to muddy the waters for you as that is not the proper practice to perform any sort of editing with spatial data.

From your description, you are not working in a versioned environment, and that is a whole other discussion  unto itself, so let's not worry about that now.  You may want to talk with your coworkers to get a handle on where the data lives, and how it's managed.

That should just about do it....