Select to view content in your preferred language

How to convert numeric field to text?

02-08-2018 03:59 PM
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

Hello again! ArcGIS Pro converted the IDs in my data file to numeric format. To execute a join I need to convert them back to strings. Can someone advise on how to do this? 

I found 2 suggestions online that haven't worked for me: 1) Right-click the data table in Contents, click Design-Fields, then right-click the field name and you'll see an ellipsis allowing you options for editing field types. I'm not seeing an ellipsis (see screenshot). 2) Export the data table to a dbf file. I see no option for exporting the table within the application. 

I do hope I get better at this ... 

0 Kudos
23 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sigh

KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

Dan Patterson, So ...I created a new project. Went to the insert tab and clicked New Map (I assume that I have to do that before creating any data layer; otherwise the Add Layer option is disabled on the Map tab).  But no luck. Is there some way to add a data layer without clicking New Map?

Tim Ormsby‌, since this is a data table, would that bug still be an issue?

I must be missing something obvious. Otherwise, no one would be able to use the software.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

New map... add data... is the right way... don't use a basemap

The data... is it a featureclass in a file geodatabase? or something else?

If you don't have permissions to edit that file, the launch Arctoolbox and use Copy Features to copy that file to a new file which you will be able to edit.  

Launch Arctoolbox again and use the Add Field tool (my shortcut is a shortcut which had a bug) and carry on from my pictures

I assume you are using the latest version of PRO from a previous question... but that may be a mistake on my part.

0 Kudos
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

This is really pathetic, I've literally spent my entire day and have barely gotten a layer to load successfully. And I'm actually reading the documentation and watching the instructional videos. 

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Kathy, really sorry about these problems. I just tried adding a field to a standalone excel table with a Basic license in Pro 2.1 and have the same experience as you. I see what you originally described (command is grayed out and says you have unsaved edits). When I run the Add Field tool, it doesn't crash the software but the tool fails. I'll follow up with the development team tomorrow. Meanwhile, I encourage you to open a case with tech support.

Tim

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tim... try the suggestion to convert to gdb table then add field.

The patch should be to convert from excel first

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Dan -- of course you're right. Run Excel to Table, then you can add the field. I'll still ask about the behavior when the tools are run directly on the Excel sheet. It may be that they aren't expected to work, but it seems like the user experience should be better.

0 Kudos
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS Pro Basic. The data file is just a very simple feature layer in excel (xls) format that I downloaded from census.gov to play around with. In excel I stripped it down to 2 ID fields and 3 data fields.

I just attempted to add a new field via the Data Management-Add field option in the toolbox and the whole shabbang crashed:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Excel to Table tool in arctoolbox to make a new geodatabase table...

Excel is largely evil in GIS world (just check Geonet for its checkered history).. They should basically remove the ability to use excel files until they are converted

KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

I appreciate the tip. I'll try the tool tomorrow after rebooting -- both

myself and this #$&@ machine.

Thanks for all the help!

0 Kudos