How can I auto-connect polygons in ArcGIS 10.3?

Jump to solution
06-17-2015 01:11 PM
SteveSkotnicki
New Contributor

I am new to ArcGis, and I am creating a large number of adjacent polygons for a geologic map that share edges. How can I connect one polygon to another such that the topology will contain no gaps, and will allow me NOT to have to redraw the shared edge(s)?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
BruceCarroll1
New Contributor II

Steve, Yes indeed. That is why I mentioned that the "cut larger polygon" was the most efficient. But sometimes you have to deal with the hand you are dealt (Shapefile  or Geodatabase).

JayHanson
New Contributor III

All so you can look into using the "align to shape" to in the Advanced editing tool bar.

0 Kudos
SteveSkotnicki
New Contributor

Thanks Jay.

Being new to GIS, and after working on this for about 8 hours, I agree with you that the cut-polygons method is easiest. However, in order for it to work, ALL adjacent polygons must be selected, not just the one I am working on. I have also had success occasionally stopping and using both the polygon tool (for closed isolated polygons) and the Auto-complete Polygon tool for two adjacent polygons not near the edge of the map.

So I am going to consider this question answered. Thanks very much for your help:)

0 Kudos
MarkWilliams
New Contributor II

Hi Steve

I just thought I would add, that you could add lines with snapping turned on and then at the end convert Features to Polygons

Hope this helps

Mark

"Bring back the coverage!", (R. West 2002)

0 Kudos
SteveSkotnicki
New Contributor

Mark,

That's a good idea. If I do that, do all of the features ned to be lines, or can I later select only the only the lines I want to convert?

0 Kudos