geocoding error in ArcMAp

01-06-2016 05:55 PM
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Hello ,

I am having errors trying to geocode this table in arcMAP. Can anyone please look at my excel file and tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have cleaned the file cannot figure out why it would not work in ArcMAP.

Thank you.

Carole

0 Kudos
21 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do not respond to a link or try to find attachments in your mailbox...simply click on the title of the thread to go to the actual thread you started and Tim's attachment will show  Geocoding_Result_Pubs.zip

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Tks

Sent from my iPhone

CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Tim,

Thank you so much.

Yes, I tried so many times and I now think that the software is giving me some glitch....

I now know that I am doing nothing wrong...

I will contact ESRI and see what they can do...

On a side note:

I registered as GeoMENTOR and have talked to a middleschool who is willing to get on the ConnectED program and I will be working with them through Esri pre-created courses,,,

Do you happen to know who I should talk to at ESRI to get someone to help the school set up their account and get free software?

Very new at this and excited to get out there and learn with the kids..

have a great day.

Christine

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Carole:

I have checked out the information you have provided and the responses in this thread and wanted to know what the name of the geocode result was and the data format, as well as, the version of ArcGIS Desktop you are using when the error was returned. I'm also curious to know if you receive the same or similar error when using the Geocode Addresses tool from ArcToolbox > Geocoding toolbox and use the World locator from the Ready-to-use-services > Geocoding in ArcCatalog when singed into ArcGIS Online.

You may also want to try to save the spreadsheet as a csv file and geocode it in ArcMap. I did not getting errors geocoding the spreadsheet you uploaded  in ArcMap either.

-Shana

ElleHolbrook
New Contributor

Hi Shana,

I'm also having this same issue. I followed the same steps and get the error "There was an error trying to process this table." The only difference with my file is that I don't have addresses and am geocoding by zip code only.

I tried using the ArcToolbox > Geocoding option and based on the more detailed error paths produced there I think it's an issue with using the online geocoder; I have ArcMap 10.6 as part of my university's subscription, but I'm not sure I have access to the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service or ArcGIS Online. When I follow links to sign up for a trial, though, it takes me to the same screen where I downloaded ArcMap so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any help you can provide would be great, thanks!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Elle Holbrook‌.  When you say that the trial takes you to an ArcMap download, what link is that?  The trial page is Free Trial of ArcGIS   You should be able to use that to start a trial, which would give you your own ArcGIS Online organization account and some credits to use for geocoding, but since you're at a university, you shouldn't have to do that.  Please contact the person at your university who provides you with the software download and license code.  That person should know how to add you as a member of an ArcGIS Online account.  To batch geocode, you will need to be a member of an ArcGIS Online organization and have credits allocated to you.  See Working with the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  for more info.

In your specific use case of geocoding to zip code only, you could go get zip code point or polygon data and join your table to the feature class table based on the zip code field.  If this results in a 1:M join and you're working in a file geodatabase, you won't actually see every record, but if you export to shapefile, they'll all be there.  This has to do with the different ways that file gdb and shapefile manage the data and is explained more here: About joining and relating tables—Help | ArcGIS Desktop in the One-to-many section. 

Note that if you were to do the same thing in ArcGIS Pro, the table will display all records, duplicating the OID.  So there is an option to move forward with your analysis even without geocoding.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ElleHolbrook
New Contributor

Hi Kory,

I've already gotten the trial of ArcGIS through my university, so I have ArcMap 10.6 installed on my computer. But when I tried to do the geocoding for these data the error messages I got made it seem like I don't have access to the ArcGis Online subscription, which is why I was trying to access that via a free trial.

I did end up getting a .shp of the zip code borders and headed down the path of joining or relating that to my data points. However, I do have a 1:M situation so I'm not sure how to proceed. Ultimately I want to map each of my data points in ArcMap. I ran a relate between the zip code .shp and my data points, but my data file doesn't have an ObjectID field so when I open the .shp attribute table and click on "Related Tables" up top, the relate is greyed out and I can't click it. I found another post about the same issue (https://community.esri.com/thread/103332 ) but I'm not sure how to do what the answer to this post says to do.

Do you have any advice on how I can proceed with this? I just want to map my data points, which are stored as zip codes for each case number in an Excel file (so not a geodatabase) as points on a shape file of the state.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Well if you have many records for individual zip code points, how do you want to "map those out"?  Just using points won't show anything because those points will be stacked on top of each other - i.e. there may be 10 points, but you only see one.  So essentially what you'll want to do is get a count of how many points there are per zip code polygon ( Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) and then symbolize the polygons based on the count.

0 Kudos
ElleHolbrook
New Contributor

I assumed I could just jitter the points so they don't overlap, like other programs allow you to do. Is that not something ArcMap can do?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos