How do you import county data into ArcMap?

Jump to solution
02-24-2016 12:54 PM
AndyNoble1
New Contributor

I just stated using this a few days ago. I am trying to figure out how to import money data into the Map. I have the data in Excel broke up by Counties. How do I tell ArcMap that I want this data to show in the county? I can't figure it out. I added a layer for counties and now I can see the counties drawn out. When I click on the map on a particular county using the "Identify" the county same comes up.

See screenshot. My data just has 3 columns. Zip Code, County, and Sales

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think what you want to do is 'label' your features instead of mousing around and looking for stuff... have a read...Essential labeling concepts—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to join the table to the file with the geometry using a common field

About joining and relating tables—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

the field names need not be the same, but their contents need to be of the same type and have a matching equivalent in both

0 Kudos
AndyNoble1
New Contributor

Thank you. I joined them and it looks like it worked. When you click on the county using the Identify... How do you get a particular "Field" to show up on the Map with the Value?

See attachment.... How do I get that to show up in that Brownish map?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

currently you have it set to report the top-most layer and Colquit is selected... expand the + beside it.  More info and visuals are in the help file for the identify tool

Identifying features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
AndyNoble1
New Contributor

Thanks for that. I got 2 to show up. I don't even know how I did that. I can't figure out how they showed up, or how to get anymore to show up on the map. See attachment. Not sure what I am missing, but I am a lot closer.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think what you want to do is 'label' your features instead of mousing around and looking for stuff... have a read...Essential labeling concepts—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos