What is the difference between ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS online

Jump to solution
10-27-2020 07:12 AM
MihirD
by
New Contributor II

I have used ArcGIS Pro and i want to use ArcGIS no. So can anyone please tell me the difference between the both ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I'd start by reviewing ArcGIS Pro | 2D and 3D GIS Mapping Software  and ArcGIS Online | Cloud-Based GIS Mapping Software for an overview of each.  It sounds like you've worked with ArcGIS Pro, so should have at least some familiarity with that.  Basically, Pro is desktop software that is installed on a machine (physical desktop, laptop, or VM) while ArcGIS Online is a software-as-a-service (SaaS) offering.  For further, specific questions, you could ask in either the ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Online GeoNet spaces.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I'd start by reviewing ArcGIS Pro | 2D and 3D GIS Mapping Software  and ArcGIS Online | Cloud-Based GIS Mapping Software for an overview of each.  It sounds like you've worked with ArcGIS Pro, so should have at least some familiarity with that.  Basically, Pro is desktop software that is installed on a machine (physical desktop, laptop, or VM) while ArcGIS Online is a software-as-a-service (SaaS) offering.  For further, specific questions, you could ask in either the ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Online GeoNet spaces.

Hope this helps! 

MihirD
by
New Contributor II

Yes I know that ,  I just wanted to know that all the tools and functionalities available on the ArcGIS Pro and Online are the same or there is some difference ?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Geoprocessing, editing, cartography, etc. capabilities are far more extensive in ArcGIS Pro than ArcGIS Online, so depending on the work someone needs to accomplish, one of the two may be better suited to meet their needs - or very commonly, users leverage capabilities of both Pro and Online!

MihirD
by
New Contributor II

Ok thanks alot. I am just gonna explore the ArcGIS more. I am planning to get a course to learn more of ArcGIS so that i get a better job opportunity. I am just a beginner to it and the ArcGIS online would be a affordable option for me?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

For learning, Learn ArcGIS  is a great place to start.  You can use a trial for learning purposes, and there is also ArcGIS for Personal Use for Noncommercial GIS Projects that could be a good fit for you for learning purposes.

MihirD
by
New Contributor II

Ok. Thanks alot. I am also planning to take the ArcGIS online subscription after learning this. Will that be a good option?

0 Kudos