MyESRI report functionality

Jump to solution
08-11-2020 06:22 AM
Labels (2)
AgnesLoggen1
New Contributor

Dear ESRI, the following questions/issues I tried to post using your 'give us feedback' option. It returned an error message. Therefore I post them here. I have also communicated these topics with ESRI Netherlands support desk.

For security reasons the end users in our organization do not have access to a direct internet connection.

The same goes for our license servers. So we activate and deactivate both single use and concurrent use licenses off-line, per e-mail. After offline activation of a provisioning file the licensefile number (FileID) does not appear in the authorizations activity report. When issueing several similar prv-files to a user, it is hard to find out which file has been activated and which has not.Will this be fixed soon?

Why does the format (number of columns, columnnames) and even the content (existing values) of the MyESRI reports change so often, that it is impossible to generate a report that can be compared to one of say three months ago?. We have a three year Enterprise Agreement with ESRI and would like to regularly generate consistent reports over this period of time.

What is the meaning of the attribute COUNT in the authorizations activity report? It shows the number of products on one concurrent use license, but it doesnot subtract those numbers when licenses are returned. So adding up these numbers gives you the total of what? Any activities with licenses? It would be very helpful to know the total number of active licenses, so excluding the returned ones.

After returning licenses the returned products should come back in the pool of available products. This takes sometimes several hours, to more than a full day. In situations where we deactivate licenses in order to activate them again on new hardware, the user has no licenses for this period of time. If we want to avoid this we must have enough licenses left in the pool to issue an extra one. It would be very useful if returns are processed real-time, or at least get an indication how long it is going to take. We also found that third-party extensions like DataInteroperability do not always return as 'available' at all, after a deautorisation (or cancellation of ESLF). Considered the unknown moment that this should happen, it is very time consuming to check if it happens or not. And if not, we lose a license.

So is it possible to shorten the processing time of a deauthorization?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshBeaton
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Agnes,

Thank you for your questions. Esri Netherland's did reach out to me with your feedback and I was in the process of responding back to them with the below. Please take a look and if you have any further questions, let's coordinate conversations through Esri Netherland's. 

Josh 

My Esri Product Owner

After activating a provisioning file the license file number (FileID) does not appear in the authorizations activity report.

• File ID is a column on the authorization activity report, if an authorization count is tied to a license file, it will show the File ID number.

When issueing several similar prv-files to a user, it is hard to find out which file has been activated and which has not.

• In the Licens File report, you can see which License Files (.prv) have been issued by the File Status column. If it is marked as processed, it has been activated. Other status types include, cancelled (authorizations in the file are returned), new (license file was created but no authorizations have been activated), or uninstalled (for ESLF ,removed from the machine and returned).

Why does the format (number of columns, columnnames) and even the content (existing values) of the MyESRI reports change so often, that it is impossible to generate a report that can be compared to one of say three months ago?.

• Through constructive user feedback on reporting, updates were made to decrease confusion with the data and to ensure better accuracy. We are in the process of discovery for adding a series of dashboards via Power BI in My Esri that will take the data and help with more trend analysis.

What is the meaning of the attribute COUNT in the authorizations activity report? It shows the number of products on one concurrent use license, but it doesnot subtract those numbers when licenses are returned. So adding up these numbers gives you the total of what? 

• Authorization Activity does show line item by line item the total count of authorizations where activity has occcurred. Example: a license file is created and during the process the user adds 4 counts of desktop advanced. Those counts are part of one authorization number. When the license file is used, in the authorizations activity report, it will show those counts as activated in the Activity column. Other data types in that activity column include,  deauthorized (uninstalled off the machine by use of the software authorization wizard), or returned via My Esri (when a user is unable to deauthorize and the authorization is stuck on the machine). Using this column to know overall activity can be accomplished by taking all line items with a status of activated, adding the counts for them, and then subtracting counts where deauthorization or returned on My Esri are shown for Activity. 
  • Things to consider
    • There is a processing time (approximately 45 minutes) for the counts to be added back to the Total Quantity in My Esri. If you are experiencing longer times than that, please send in examples and we can check the back end integration to ensure data is flowing efficiently.
    • If the organization has reached its maximum amount of deauthorizations and are issued an extra activation, the extra activation is not added to the total quantity in My Esri. For some Enterprise Agreements with uncapped quantity rules for deauthorizations, this would not be applicable. Moving forward, the workflow has been updated to provide the user with a temporary license if they have reached there return limits and if justified, increase the returns versus issuing an extra activation. This way the counts in My Esri are honored.

Any activities with licenses? It would be very helpful to know the total number of active licenses, so excluding the returned ones.

• Filtering the authorization activity report by the Activity column on Active will provide this. To verify they are active, UMNID columns will give you the machine ID’s to verify.

After deauthorizing licenses the returned products should come back in the pool of available products. This takes sometimes several hours, to more than a full day. In situations where we deactivate licenses in order to activate them again on new hardware, the user has no licenses for this period of time. If we want to avoid this we must have enough licenses left in the pool to issue an extra one. It would be very useful if returns are processed real-time, or at least get an indication how long it is going to take. 

• We are in the process of updating our integration solution to better support real-time for this workflow. 

We also found that third-party extensions like DataInteroperability do not always return as 'available' at all, after a deautorization (or cancellation of ESLF). Considered the unknown moment that this should happen, it is very time consuming to check if it happens or not. And if not, we lose a license. 

• This should not be the case. Please send Esri Netherland's some examples so we may troubleshoot. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoshBeaton
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Agnes,

Thank you for your questions. Esri Netherland's did reach out to me with your feedback and I was in the process of responding back to them with the below. Please take a look and if you have any further questions, let's coordinate conversations through Esri Netherland's. 

Josh 

My Esri Product Owner

After activating a provisioning file the license file number (FileID) does not appear in the authorizations activity report.

• File ID is a column on the authorization activity report, if an authorization count is tied to a license file, it will show the File ID number.

When issueing several similar prv-files to a user, it is hard to find out which file has been activated and which has not.

• In the Licens File report, you can see which License Files (.prv) have been issued by the File Status column. If it is marked as processed, it has been activated. Other status types include, cancelled (authorizations in the file are returned), new (license file was created but no authorizations have been activated), or uninstalled (for ESLF ,removed from the machine and returned).

Why does the format (number of columns, columnnames) and even the content (existing values) of the MyESRI reports change so often, that it is impossible to generate a report that can be compared to one of say three months ago?.

• Through constructive user feedback on reporting, updates were made to decrease confusion with the data and to ensure better accuracy. We are in the process of discovery for adding a series of dashboards via Power BI in My Esri that will take the data and help with more trend analysis.

What is the meaning of the attribute COUNT in the authorizations activity report? It shows the number of products on one concurrent use license, but it doesnot subtract those numbers when licenses are returned. So adding up these numbers gives you the total of what? 

• Authorization Activity does show line item by line item the total count of authorizations where activity has occcurred. Example: a license file is created and during the process the user adds 4 counts of desktop advanced. Those counts are part of one authorization number. When the license file is used, in the authorizations activity report, it will show those counts as activated in the Activity column. Other data types in that activity column include,  deauthorized (uninstalled off the machine by use of the software authorization wizard), or returned via My Esri (when a user is unable to deauthorize and the authorization is stuck on the machine). Using this column to know overall activity can be accomplished by taking all line items with a status of activated, adding the counts for them, and then subtracting counts where deauthorization or returned on My Esri are shown for Activity. 
  • Things to consider
    • There is a processing time (approximately 45 minutes) for the counts to be added back to the Total Quantity in My Esri. If you are experiencing longer times than that, please send in examples and we can check the back end integration to ensure data is flowing efficiently.
    • If the organization has reached its maximum amount of deauthorizations and are issued an extra activation, the extra activation is not added to the total quantity in My Esri. For some Enterprise Agreements with uncapped quantity rules for deauthorizations, this would not be applicable. Moving forward, the workflow has been updated to provide the user with a temporary license if they have reached there return limits and if justified, increase the returns versus issuing an extra activation. This way the counts in My Esri are honored.

Any activities with licenses? It would be very helpful to know the total number of active licenses, so excluding the returned ones.

• Filtering the authorization activity report by the Activity column on Active will provide this. To verify they are active, UMNID columns will give you the machine ID’s to verify.

After deauthorizing licenses the returned products should come back in the pool of available products. This takes sometimes several hours, to more than a full day. In situations where we deactivate licenses in order to activate them again on new hardware, the user has no licenses for this period of time. If we want to avoid this we must have enough licenses left in the pool to issue an extra one. It would be very useful if returns are processed real-time, or at least get an indication how long it is going to take. 

• We are in the process of updating our integration solution to better support real-time for this workflow. 

We also found that third-party extensions like DataInteroperability do not always return as 'available' at all, after a deautorization (or cancellation of ESLF). Considered the unknown moment that this should happen, it is very time consuming to check if it happens or not. And if not, we lose a license. 

• This should not be the case. Please send Esri Netherland's some examples so we may troubleshoot. 

0 Kudos