How to diagnose MyEsri user permission change failures?

Jump to solution
09-02-2020 11:23 AM
Labels (1)
BillBott
Occasional Contributor

How to diagnose user permission change failures? ,

Check "Take authorized caller actions" arbitrarily punch in a caller id number

Add "Authorized Caller" and clicked "Update"

Says it was successful

Go back to user account, the update data is unchanged (should be today, 9/2/2020)

Clicking "Edit" pencil and re-editing, sure enough - the new permission was not applied. 

I have tried a half dozen times with different caller id numbers. I've also updated several other users just fine, so it appears to be something specific to his account.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TeresaDolan
Esri Contributor

Hi Bill,

Sorry that you are having this issue.

I see that you are editing an existing user. Sometimes there are issues with the backend systems that prevent updates from occurring; when this happens, My Esri sends the user an invitation instead.

While it's true this user's existing connection does not reflect it has been updated, you can see that he has been sent an invitation. Once he accepts the token that was sent to him, his permissions on his existing connection will update.

The reason it is failing is that the backend system has 2 contact records for this user, and My Esri doesn't know which to update. We try to "fail gracefully" and handle this for you, which is why an invitation was sent instead of updating the record. But I agree the end-user experience is a bit confusing.

I see that you are at an organization that has Premium Support. Please contact your TAM (Technical Account Manager) - he can merge the records for you.

Hope this helps,
Teresa

Teresa Dolan
Business Analyst | My Esri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TeresaDolan
Esri Contributor

Hi Bill,

Sorry that you are having this issue.

I see that you are editing an existing user. Sometimes there are issues with the backend systems that prevent updates from occurring; when this happens, My Esri sends the user an invitation instead.

While it's true this user's existing connection does not reflect it has been updated, you can see that he has been sent an invitation. Once he accepts the token that was sent to him, his permissions on his existing connection will update.

The reason it is failing is that the backend system has 2 contact records for this user, and My Esri doesn't know which to update. We try to "fail gracefully" and handle this for you, which is why an invitation was sent instead of updating the record. But I agree the end-user experience is a bit confusing.

I see that you are at an organization that has Premium Support. Please contact your TAM (Technical Account Manager) - he can merge the records for you.

Hope this helps,
Teresa

Teresa Dolan
Business Analyst | My Esri
BillBott
Occasional Contributor

Ah yes, thank you - I  removed the duplicate pending request and was able to assign the caller. Appreciate it!