Cancelled license files are still in use

Jump to solution
10-26-2022 10:13 AM
FlorencePorter
New Contributor

I am the license administrator for my organization.  On the Licensing, Authorizations, and Activity reports, we have licenses that were cancelled, but are still being used.  Is there a process of reinstating these license to show that they are still in use?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"They," the licenses, are not cancelled.  What is cancelled is the license file.  Once a license file is cancelled, it won't work to authorize any additional licenses, but that is because the license file itself has been cancelled and not because the licenses have been deauthorized or obsoleted. 

Personally, I liked it better when they were called Provisioning files because that is exactly what they are, and changing the name to Licensing files leads to confusion, especially for people newer to Esri licensing in My Esri.

If you are interested in actual license information, I suggest looking at the Authorizations or Authorizations Activity reports because those contain information on licenses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "reinstating these license?"  Cancelling a license file does not deauthorize already-deployed licenses, so the licenses are still active and valid if you look under Authorizations.

0 Kudos
FlorencePorter
New Contributor

Even though they are cancelled, it does not mean that they can not be used, correct?   So, in order to have the correct information on the license file report, I would need to find out if the files are still in use or not, right?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"They," the licenses, are not cancelled.  What is cancelled is the license file.  Once a license file is cancelled, it won't work to authorize any additional licenses, but that is because the license file itself has been cancelled and not because the licenses have been deauthorized or obsoleted. 

Personally, I liked it better when they were called Provisioning files because that is exactly what they are, and changing the name to Licensing files leads to confusion, especially for people newer to Esri licensing in My Esri.

If you are interested in actual license information, I suggest looking at the Authorizations or Authorizations Activity reports because those contain information on licenses.