ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3 not able to access License Server Administrator 2021

Jump to solution
09-23-2021 06:44 AM
Labels (2)
rauwaeCINBELL
New Contributor II

Laptop: ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3 - Concurrent Standard, Windows 10

Virtual Server: Server 2016, ESRI License Server Administrator 2021.0

Spent a couple days on this issue on my own and with ESRI support. I have all my ESRI licenses authorized on the license server, but I don't see any licenses available in ArcGIS Pro when I go to "configure your license options". I'm able to ping the license server from my laptop, and I'm able to ping my laptop from the license server. I have not received any error messages. I've also followed the bulletin on how to configure my firewall on the server: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/license-manager/latest/configure-the-arcgis-license-manager-to-work-th...

I had this somewhat working when I was at 2.8.2 and using license manager 2020.1. I would like to avoid having to downgrade my installations. ESRI support gave me a temp license to use until they figure it out. I know I can install license server on my laptop as a temp solution, but I want to do this the correct way.

UPDATE 9/23/2021 12:33PM Eastern: I tried running license server on my laptop, and Pro still does not show any concurrent licenses. Did not receive any error messages. I think my next step is reinstalling Pro. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rauwaeCINBELL
New Contributor II

So it turns out we were authorizing Pro incorrectly. There are three ways to authorize licenses: ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise Portal, or Licenser Server Administrator. Since we have Portal, it seems our Pro standard license is supposed to be authorized by using the MyESRI > License Esri Products "Start" option. There you will select ArcGIS Enterprise and Portal for ArcGIS. This process creates a .json license file that you download and install in both Enterprise and License Server Administrator. These concurrent licenses then turn into Named Licenses, which you assign on ArcGIS Enterprise > Organization > Licenses. Then from ArcGIS Pro, select Named User Licenses, and connect to the License Server. 

Depending on how you use ArcGIS Desktop and whether you use ArcGIS Online or Enterprise determines what method of authorization you need to perform. Not sure if this negotiated with your sales rep, or determined by what ESRI products you've purchased. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
SailiTang1
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Are you able to see your license server's name (Active License Manager) under the table of ArcGIS Pro Concurrent User License in Licensing Page? If you are able to see it, it means you connected to your license server successfully, otherwise, you hadn't connected to it yet.

And also, I noticed on ESRI website https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/license-manager/latest/supported-software-products.htm#GUID-050952EB-C... that License Manager 2021.0 can support software products "ArcGIS Pro 2.8, 2.7.x, 2.6.x, 2.5.x, 2.4.x 2.3.x, 2.2.x, 2.1.x, 2.0.x, 1.4.x", which is not  "2.8.x" but only 2.8.

In addition, only for test purpose, you can try to install it on your laptop. If the issue is gone, it means that your firewall setting still has some issues.

rauwaeCINBELL
New Contributor II

Thanks. Good points. I am able to see my active license manager. I think you might be onto something... perhaps, I need to downgrade to 2.8 for the license server to work. 

Like my post says, I tried installing license server on my laptop, and ArcGIS Pro still shows no licenses available. Haven't heard back from ESRI either. 

I will update this post if anything changes.

0 Kudos
SailiTang1
New Contributor III

Thanks for letting me know. If you already tested installing license manager and your Pro on the same machine, I think that it is very possible that this version of license manager doesn't work on the version of your Pro.

rauwaeCINBELL
New Contributor II

Well, I reinstalled Pro and kept it at 2.8 with license server 2021.0 on my laptop, still nothing. Not sure what is screwed up. It was working fine until I decided to upgrade from 2020.1 to 2021.0. Perhaps I need to downgrade license server as well. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I have 2021.0 and Pro 2.8.3 and it is working fine. That LM is backwards compatible with previous versions.

Maybe there is a port issue?

I would reach out to the Esri technical support on this.

--- George T.
rauwaeCINBELL
New Contributor II

Thanks, George. Yes, I have reached out to ESRI. I think I eliminated the port issue by installing LS on my laptop, still not resolved. I reinstalled Pro 2.7 and LS 2020.1, still nothing. 

0 Kudos
SailiTang1
New Contributor III

Now, it doesn't look like a software version issue. You can see all your licenses in your License manager, right? You also can check the log file of license manager and it should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\LicenseManager\bin\lmgrd9.log. See if there are any errors in the log file.

I am using Pro 2.8 and our licenser manager is 2020.0. My Pro is working, but my extension licenses are not available.

rauwaeCINBELL
New Contributor II

I have now reinstalled 2.8.3 and 2021.0. I took a look at the Imgrd9 log file, and I do see there are a few lines as shown below: 

17:40:19 (ARCGIS) UNSUPPORTED: "indexserver" (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS ) rauw@L-RAUW (No such feature exists. (-5,346))

Not sure what this means, but I will forward it to ESRI.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you ever hear back on the 'UNSUPPORTED: indexserver"? We've been having some issues with our Named User licenses. I think we figured out the original issue but now we are receiving this issue.