GIS Dictionary Supplement with ArcGIS Pro Terminology

09-12-2020 09:36 PM
Labels (1)
LuciaBarbato1
New Contributor III

The current GIS Dictionary, Esri Support GIS Dictionary, references ArcMap terminology (i.e. data frame, map document, ArcMap, data view, etc.), however, ArcGIS Pro uses different terms (map frame, project, ribbon). In the dictionary, where definitions reference [Esri Software] it would be helpful to differentiate ArcMap vs ArcGIS Pro software terminology.

3 Comments
KoryKramer

Hi Lucia.  Thank you for submitting this idea.  I'll check in with the team that maintains that online dictionary to see about updating it.  In the meantime, hopefully https://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-pro-terminology-guide.pdf  will help.

Cheers

LuciaBarbato1

Hi Kory,

Thanks for the quick reply and for referring the suggestion to the documentation team.

I have found the arcgis-pro-terminology-guide.pdf very helpful when I was (and continue to) transitioning to Pro.

Keep up all the great work that you do.

Hope you have a wonderful week.

Lucia Barbato, GISP

Instructor, Dept. of Geosciences

Sr. Research Associate, Ctr. For Geospatial Technology

Texas Tech University

806.834-8999

KamB
by

Thank you for your post. The Esri Support GIS Dictionary is a great resource. I hope Esri continues to maintain the old material that references ArcMap, as they build out support for ArcGIS Pro. I use ArcMap everyday at work, and many other companies still extensively use the software.