Tips & Tricks: ArcGIS Pro and Public Accounts

03-04-2019 10:55 AM
Labels (2)
TeresaDolan
Esri Contributor
3 67 19.3K

The My Esri team gets a lot of feedback from users who are trying to use their Personal Use copy of ArcGIS Pro, but they can't sign in because they get this error message:

Sign-in error message when user has ArcGIS public account

The link provided on Learn more has the answer. It points to this helpful document on the ArcGIS Pro pages: Sign-in troubleshooting—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

That document explains that this Esri Account is not part of an ArcGIS organization. An ArcGIS public account has limited access to ArcGIS Online and does not allow this user to use ArcGIS Pro.

Anyone can confirm that their Esri Account is a public account by signing in to ArcGIS Online from a web browser. If the URL is www.arcgis.com/home/index.html, the account is public. An ArcGIS organization account has the form www.<orgname>.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html.

67 Comments
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Interesting news for those of us that only use ArcGIS Pro and wanted to get a Personal use copy … hmmm must be missing something … perhaps you need to set up an organization for those without an organization

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dan, the personal use license comes with a Creator user type:ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS Desktop Advanced for Personal Use 

So yes, that Personal Use account will have an organization account used to license ArcGIS Pro.  

On the other hand, if the ArcGIS Online user just has a public account (not associated with an organization) it can't be used to authorize Pro.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Let Michelle Mathias‌ know... I just set up an AGOL account separate from my work account, since I will be retiring in July and will be getting the Personal software for the MVP award.  Not much use if I can't use PRO.  Perhaps the help topic needs clarification or you need to set up an OldPros@esri.com organization

JerryMahun
New Contributor III

This is all pretty confusing. I purchased ArcGIS for Home Use and there was no problem authorizing that software. ArcPro, which comes with with ArcGIS for Home, is another story. There are no instructions how to authorize the software. When one encounters the Public Account authorization error, it leaves the user hanging. The user has to resort to searching the ESRI Community to find out what's going on. How about a clear set of instructions for Home Use that explains step by step ArcPro authorization process?

AnaRosales
Esri Contributor

Hello Jerry

I see you already have a case open with our Technical Support team, the analyst will walk you through the activation process, however, here is the link to the ArcGIS Pro Quick Start Guide for your reference: ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation  

Thanks!

JerryMahun
New Contributor III

I'm leaving for a few days and will try the information you sent when I get

back.

Thank you.

Jerry M

JerryMahun
New Contributor III

Thank you for the link, but until I can get ArcGIS Pro activated, I can't do any of that stuff.

Jerry M

AnaRosales
Esri Contributor

I will open a case on your behalf so an analyst can assist.

Thank you

Ana

mdzinc
by
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. I cannot open ArcGIS Pro with a "public" account.  There are no good instructions for how to get past this. I have been using ArcGIS for a decade, but I don't get this. The product description is "ArcGIS Desktop". It is silly that Esri would allow me to download ArcGIS Pro, but disallow me from easily opening it. Please advise. Best regards, Mike  

JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

Hello mdzinc:

Were you able to get ArcGIS Pro to open? 

May I also ask if the decade of ArcPro use was as a student or while associated to another organization?
I also assume that you are using the same email and/or login username?

Thanks,

Jonathan

mtimana
New Contributor II

Hello all:

I'm just having the same issue and it is really frustraing. I bought the ArcGIS for personal use ($100) and the description includes both ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap; I was able to download both, install both, get ArcMap runing but ArcGIS Pro keeps giving me the "public profile" warning. I really don't get this "organization" thing; I bought it for me alone, to use it in my home personal computer. Why can't I get it to run? 

Suggestions please

Martin

JoelPadilla79
New Contributor

This is not a solution for this issue. How do I fix the Public account issue (I'm a Single-Personal User Account recipient), and I can't get to log in to ArcGISPro following this link?

Ausconk
New Contributor

I cannot access my purchased 1-year ArcGIS Pro subscription because I do not have associated organization, can you please help me? Can you open a case on my behalf  with IT to help with this issue. I need to continue working a project I began while in university, and now I am worried I wasted money on software I am not able to access. Please help ASAP.

Thank you,

Austin

JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

You should create a new organization, then you should be able to merge the two accounts.

This should help: Get started/set up an Arcgis Online Organization

Ausconk
New Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply! However, I ended up having to call the helpline, because the provided instructions required an activation link that I never received. 

Cheers!

ChristopherDavenport
New Contributor

I've gone through all of the posted links and am still not able to use the software that I spent my money on. What is all this public account versus organization account versus online profile versus desktop profile... ridiculous. You'd probably sell 5 times the licenses you currently do if any of this made any sense at all.

JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

@ChristopherDavenport 

What is your issue or error with logging in?  Please let us know and we will try to assist you with your issue.

ChristopherDavenport
New Contributor

I purchased a Single Use license and should have access to ArcGIS Pro provided that I only access on one machine. My first problem is that upon purchasing there isn't a single piece of advice on where to actually download the product (which could easily be a link provided with the invoice). Anyways, I found the download link after some time.

The issue I'm having now is that I need to authorize my device as licensed, but I have not received an authorization key or any instructions whatsoever that I could use to access the software I purchased. When trying to log on it says you can't just access this software with a public account..... No s***, how do I get this program to understand that I have a license.

Honestly, this is a huge oversight and is going to push a bunch of people away. People who were at one time very eager to learn the power GIS has to offer. This entire process makes ZERO sense. in addition to that, all of the links you can follow are unhelpful.

JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

@ChristopherDavenport 

These should be the correct instructions for your installation: Authorize and start ArcGIS Pro with a Single Use license

However, you should have received an email with an authorization, or some communication from esri afterwards.  When was the purchase completed?

ChristopherDavenport
New Contributor

Yesterday. So I did find an email with a link to the fulfillment page but even here it gives me instructions to log onto ArcGIS Online and then go to Licenses. There is not a "license" button or tab ANYWHERE here.

JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

@ChristopherDavenport 

Once you are logged into ArcGIS Online you should click on "Organization" at the very top, then you should see the sub menu below for "Licenses".  Do you not see that?

As an ArcGIS Pro personal use license holder you are eligible for installation and licensing support.  I'd suggest giving our support analysts a call at (888) 377-4575  and creating a ticket with us. 

ChristopherDavenport
New Contributor

Yeah. Id suggest looking into how incredibly inefficient this process is.

mtimana
New Contributor II
Well, it took me at least 4 days to figure it out, with the help of a local
provider; it’s just madness.

Martin
JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

@ChristopherDavenport 

Once you are logged into ArcGIS Online you should click on "Organization" at the very top, then you should see the sub menu below for "Licenses".  Do you not see that?

kelvpau
New Contributor

Just purchased ArcGis for Desktop and am in the same boat as others apparently regarding ArcGis Pro.

I've made it to the page for "License Level". I am unclear on which of the three options I'm able to access with the purchase and the website link https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/authorize-and-start-arcgis-pro-with-a-single-us... doesn't tell which to select.

However, this is not really the point because with any option I choose, I have to put in Organizational information. This is a confusing point because the reason I purchased ArcGis for Personal Use was because I don't have an Organization. Am I correct in believing that this isn't actually for a single private user then?

JenniferTurner1
New Contributor

For anyone still confused on how to find your personal use license code.

Go to your "My Organization" Tab, you will see a box on the left-hand side that says "License Esri Products - Start". Click that. Follow the steps (Your original Organization name should be your full name, if you have not already changed it.)

After you completed downloaded the Esri product (sent via email or download). Go to your authorizations tab on the left [note: you should still be under the "License" section in your Organization]. You will have two options, CityEngine or Personal Use. Click the "Details" of your personal use and that is where you will FINALLY find your license code.

Happy hunting. 🙂 

JerryMahun
New Contributor III

Hunting is right ... that didn't work either.

Recently ESRI decided to "upgrade" all user types, including Personal, to Professional level which, I guess, makes all this registration/activation stuff more uniform (?). Their included instructions for how to finalize my user level upgrade didn't work (surprise), adding to my confusion. ESRI is quick to let me know my yearly license is about to expire so I should renew it, but in two years of use, I've NEVER been able to get ArcPro to run.  None of the solutions offered here have worked. Some appear oblivious to the actual problem described. Emails I received from Tech Support, most echoing the same non-working solutions proposed here, didn't help either. From other comments here, it's obvious I'm not the only one frustrated by the process.  ArcPro may be wonderful software, but I'll never know - like sitting in a Ferrari without the keys.

Anyway, I've decided to stop banging my head against the wall and will not renew my ArcGIS personal/professional license. QGIS is easier to deal with, meets my needs, and is easier on my walls. 

mtimana
New Contributor II

Hello all:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this query. I have a personal ArcGIS Pro license; the software is installed on my computer "A" but now I have a new computer and I want to move the software to PC "B"; Is there an established procedure that I should follow to do it? Thanks for any help. Greetings, Martin.

JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

@mtimana-

I am happy to inform you that transferring your ArcGIS Pro personal use license will be an easy process!

First you will need to deauthorize the license from your original PC "A". 

1. Launch ArcGIS Administrator from Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Administrator.
  2. Select Support Operations in the left panel.
  3. Click the Deauthorize button to launch the Software Authorization Wizard.
  4. Under Deauthorization Method, select the first option: Deauthorize with Esri now using the Internet.
  5. Under Deauthorization Options, select ArcGIS Pro and any additional features to deauthorize
  6. Click Next to complete the deauthorization process
  7. Your ArcGIS Pro license is deauthorized and ready to authorize on your new PC "B"

Install and authorize ArcGIS Pro on your new PC "B", as you had originally on the original PC "A"

mtimana
New Contributor II

Thank you so much Jonathan!

Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

Around 2004 when I was just getting started in the Esri universe I had several accounts all with different names and password to access the different parts (Esri galaxies maybe?), I don't remember now, one to log in and one to run software and one to post to the forums etc etc. then one day they consolidated everything under one global account username and life was good.

Now I have to have an account at my day job, an account to access a MOOC I am taking, a developer account, a global account, and a personal account with an organization to access PRO.

Two steps forward, three steps back...

DrCable
New Contributor

This is a stupid problem to have. I have had the software(ArcGIS Pro) since August and still have not figured this out. NONE of the links on any page I have found say anything about how to change account type from Public to anything else. I look at my account details and it shows an organization, shows the nearly $3000 paid, shows the subscription till next Aug., but nothing else. Even this page here that is basically titled the exact problem each of us have doesnt tell us how to fix it. Get your act together! FIX THIS STUPID problem. This is so frustrating. 

mtimana
New Contributor II

After a few months of frustration I for one decided not to renew my subscription to ESRI products. They just should make things simpler for regular users.

GeorgePaterson
New Contributor

2 problems here:

1) Like everyone else it seems that has ArcGIS for personal use I am unable to activate the license for ArcGIS Pro. ArcMap is fine. I tried the option to configure licenses and selected single user type etc. Even though it said I was already authorised, when it got back to the ArcGis Pro screen to hit OK I still got the "you are not authorised..." dialog.

2) Even though it says all my extensions are authorised in the ArcGIS Pro login, this is not reflected in ArcMap, where I get "you are not licensed to use this extension" message for extensions like GeoSpatialanalyst.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

$100 for ArcGIS/Pro may not be much, but you'd at least expect to be able to use it.

It appears no one at ESRI is paying attention to personal users.

Brian_Wilson

Figure out the $100 license is just a fraternity hazing process. You have to prove your worthiness to be a member by signing in correctly. If you cannot follow the poor instructions for an overly complicated process, you will be unable to learn Pro. Just go install QGIS. 

Think of it as a rite that does not have to be, like an ice bucket plunge or something involving too much alcohol in a short time.

I had a long message here about the Esri business model and how it serves wealth and not you, but no one reads messages that long.

So I am sticking with the hazing idea instead. It's to prepare you for the brutal learning curve that is to follow.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Guess that's why I never joined a frat in college.

Brian_Wilson

Scrolling all the way back up to the OP, Esri just needs to change the text in that one dialog to make it clear what is going on. "That's all". That's in quotes because Esri supports how many languages? Changing the text in a prompt seems trivial until you consider its ramifications.

They balance that against how many calls and how much frustration it causes and someone decided it's not worth it for the $100 customers.

LuísaCollischonn
New Contributor II

Paid for $100 annual license, downloaded ArcGIS Pro, but can't login! As far as I could understand, I need an organization. How do I do that? I need to use the program whose license is already paid for!

I never thought it would be difficult. It's unbelievable to read the comments above and realize that I'm in the same boat.

Someone to really help me? Is JonathanLeavitt a robot?

JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

When you initially accepted the invitation to join the ArcGIS Online organization you should be confronted with a dialog asking if you wish to convert your existing account to an organizational one.

I agree that these terms public account and organizational account can be misleading.

In the ESRI world An ArcGIS public account is a free account for personal, noncommercial use.  

An ArcGIS organizational account allows you to see the organization's customized view of the website. It also gives you access to the organization's authoritative data and other geospatial content that you can use to create maps and apps. As a member of an organization, you can also share your work with other members of your organization, participate in groups, and save your work.

This should cover the account conversion process well:  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/get-started/join-org.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_73A22DB113B7429B91101... 

And no, I am not a robot/android.AI!  

LuísaCollischonn
New Contributor II

I would like to convert my online account to an organization, but the point is that I created my ArcGIS online account a long time ago and I don't have this option to convert now. What can I do? Please, I don't want to waste any more time on this.

LuísaCollischonn
New Contributor II

I finally managed to resolve it alone!
When I purchased the license, I received an email from ESRI titled 'Esri - Order Fulfillment Confirmation'. In this email will be the link that gives the possibility to convert the ArcGIS public account into an organization.
How can something simple get so complicated? This shouldn't be the only way... And if anyone is in doubt, it should be easily helped.
Hope this helps other people too.

BatuhanKilincel
New Contributor

es steht, dass mein GIS Professional-Benutzertyp aktiviert wurde. Aber troztdem logge ich noch nicht ein. Außerdem schreibt auf der Seite, dass man einer ArcGIS-Organisation erstellen mus, um ArcGIS-Pro anzumelden. Die Aktivationcode, die geschickt wurde, habe ich nochmal probiert. Allerdings liegt in meinem Bildschrim " Error validatin key"
Was soll ich tun?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Welcome to AA: ArcPro Anonymous.
My name is Spyder and I was an ArcPro-aholic. I've been ArcPro-free for 3 months now.

I spent two years trying to authorize ArcPro. I stayed up late, lied to my wife about what I was doing, snuck in secret computer log-ins, all just to feed my insatiable ArcPro licensing habit. I didn't understand why I had to be an organization for ArcPro to authorize. Then I was told I was being converted to a professional user: was this an intervention gone bad?

I sought help, and found this thread. What's this? Others were also ArcPro-aholics? I wasn't alone! Others suffered the same licensing fate. They too asked for help but couldn't find it. Like me, they did not understand the licensing process nor why they had to be an organization, especially as home users.

AA doesn't solve the licensing problem or resolve the organization dilemma. While an understanding snicker greets each new member, we really do sympathize. We are a support group, the digital equivalent of screaming into a pillow.

That's about as good as it's gonna get, Cupcake.

BatuhanKilincel
New Contributor

Hallo,

Vielen Dank für Ihre Antwort @Anonymous User . Ab sofort möchte ich es benutzen. Deswegen frage ich mich, was ich jetzt ganz genau machen soll. Wie Sie wissen, habe ich noch keine Lösung dafür, obwohl ich geschriben habe. Was soll ich für Organisaton machen? Eingentlich habe ich viel zu tun, aber leider schlage ich damit herum. Das ist wirklich ärgerlich. Warum muss es ziemlich schwer sein ?

Viele Grüße

Batuhan

Brian_Wilson

Spyder, they make me use Pro. I can't stop. I am a pro, they pay me for it.

I said "I should make one of them movies and put it on the You-tube" Then I said "maybe there IS one" and there is -- it's from Esri Canada, Canadians are nice, maybe it's good. The first 4 minutes show how to use an account you don't know that you have to download and install the software.

Then the nice Canadian lady (she/her) starts talking faster when it comes to the licensing part. I couldn't watch further because my eyes protectively rolled up into my head . Maybe it would help you but I think not.

That is because this video is designed primarily for the real Esri customers, the ones with 400 users in their existing organizational account, not "personal" Pro users.

Maybe someone else can watch all of it and comment here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_7XrbLZrMc

What's really needed is a 5 minute video that tells only how to use the personal license.

I keep thinking I could be the youtube hero the community cries out for but every time I get home in the evening I realize there are other things to do. I would do several videos and then Esri would hire me to silence me, like Hussein Nasser.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You need a sponsor, someone you can call in a moment of weakness, someone who...

Wait a sec, you found a  youtube video?!?! Maybe there's hope? I can understand Canadian. If I could steal away a few minutes on the computer when my wife's not looking....

Must ... fight ... the ... urge ...

rmagdanz
New Contributor

I bought an ArcGIS Personal Use license months ago and have managed to get ArcGIS Pro authorized. It was a mess and I got confused. I recently spent three days reading every article I could find to figure out what happened. Here’s the deal, best I can put it back together:

1. I purchased the Personal Use license through my MyEsri account. That MyEsri account has an ArcGIS Online PUBLIC account associated with it. I can log into both MyEsri and ArcGIS Online public with the same username and password.
  2. From my MyEsri account, I activated an ArcGIS organizational account (DIFFERENT from the ArcGIS public account associated with MyEsri). MyEsri-->My Organizations-->Licensing (I think this is where I got the activation email and did all that jazz)
  3. When activating the ArcGIS Online organizational account, I had to set up a new username and password for ArcGIS Online, different from the username I already had for MyEsri and my ArcGIS Online public account. The new username gave me access to an ArcGIS Online organizational account. My original username, the one I used in step one to log in to MyEsri and buy my subscription, still works on ArcGIS Online but only gives me access to a public account.
  4. I signed into ArcGIS Pro using the credentials for my ArcGIS Online organizational account. This worked. When I try to sign into ArcGIS Pro using the credentials I use for MyEsri, it throws the error users here see, "Your account could not be used...because it is an ArcGIS public account."

I'm not sure this is the only way it is meant to work, but it is a way I got it to work. It's a little maddening that I now have two separate ArcGIS logins,  one for MyEsri that contains my billing information and seems to actually control the subscription, but can't login to ArcGIS Pro or do any advanced work in ArcGIS Online, then a SECOND login that can't access MyEsri but logs into to ArcGIS Pro and the full version of ArcGIS Online. 

Best I can tell, the Personal Use license is set up on top of the same structure used for large organizations with actual administrators, members, and organizational names. As a result, it gets totally confusing when using a personal use license, where me, myself, and I are a MyEsri organization, a MyEsri user in that organization, an ArcGIS Online organization, the administrator of that ArcGIS Online organization, AND the sole member of that organization. All split between two usernames that alternately and exclusively work in different parts of the ESRI universe. Hopefully I don't put content in the wrong place and mess myself up down the line.

JessicaSmeekens
New Contributor

I am upset that I cannot find the area online to download tools. I keep ending up at an account which asks me to pay (I have a $1300/yr license!!!!!)

SHIVALINGEGOWDASK
New Contributor

I am doing research and Iwould like to get a license to use ArcGIS Pro as an academic purpose.

Please guide me to get the sam and oblige.

Regards,

SHIVALINGE GOWDA S K

SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, DSATM

BENGALURU

About the Author
I am a Business Analyst on the My Esri team. I've worked on My Esri since its inception. I've worked at Environmental Systems Research Institute (or ESRI or Esri) since 1984.