Trying to Get User Parameters to Work in Modelbuilder Dialogue

07-14-2016 11:25 AM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

I've got a model that has several string input variables that I'd like to use as initial model dialogue text inputs but I can't seem to get it to work.  If I "edit" the model and supply the variable values for each of the blue variable bubbles and then run the model from within an edit session, it works fine.  When I close out the edit session and try to open/run the model by first filling in the dialogue for the two variables I get the following error:  "ERROR 000110:  GIS.%variable1%%variable2% does not exist."

String Variable 1 (incident name) and string variable 2 (incident date) are used for the output name of the output feature class that I want to create using a merge tool.  So the output feature class name would be "gis.incidentblabla7_14_16".

What's the trick to getting modelbuilder to play nice with that open dialogue and model variables?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MicahBabinski

Hi Royce,

Could you attach a toolbox with your model in it so we could have a look?

Micah

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if you model inputs don't have a P denoting a parameter, then you will have issues ... see the example and description here

Creating model parameters—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson

I have modeled the three variables as parameters.  When I open the model, the input dialogue comes up and I'm able to enter the parameters values, but when I execute the model I get the above error.

Trying to figure out how to attach the toolbox.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

zip it if there is more than one file... actually just zip it since they are acceptable attachments

0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson

Ok, I've moved the toolbox to an fgdb and zipped it.  See my OP for attached zip.

0 Kudos