Select multiple layers within Parcels using Select by Location

02-01-2021 10:52 AM
DanielMoye
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a model to select Structures, Primary Conductor, and Consumers within individual tax parcel features that are in my TaxParcel Layer. I have been able to create a model that returns the total number of structures that meet a query within all the features but that is as far as I have gotten. How to I modify my model to return statistics for each individual feature within the TaxParcel layer? Also, I need a way to create a .csv file with all of the statistics for each category in it. (# of Structures, miles of Primary Conductor , and # of Consumers)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What statistics do you want from the intersecting Tax Parcel features?  As you say Individual Tax Parcels, do you mean the geometry, or some calculation from fields?

Table To Table (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation should allow you to export any selected records, along with controlling the output with 'field mappings'.

I'd instead highly recommend doing this in Python with an arcpy.da.SearchCursor() but I appreciate it's not for everyone.

DanielMoye
New Contributor II

Thank you @DavidPike , I appreciate the help. However, I use ArcMap 10.4 and not ArcPro, so I am not sure how similar the table to table conversion in ArcPro would be to what I currently use.

To answer your question, For the consumers layer and structures layer I am looking to get a count of the number of features within the individual parcels. For the Primary Conductor layer, I would need to get a sum calculation of the ShapeLength field from the selected features that intersect each individual TaxParcel Feature. I would then need to run a calculation taking that sum and converting it to Miles because the shapelength is in US Feet( I have almost no experience within Python inside of ArcMap and I am a little timid in using it within ArcMap considering I have a LARGE amount of data that is within this one Map Document and I would hate to lose it some how.)

To add a question, 

Are there any model builder tools and/or iterators that I could use to accomplish what I previously described. (Full disclosure: I am still new to model builder so I am still confused on how iterators work, so I am not sure which one I could use in this situation.)

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The vast majority of tools are the same between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. You also may want to look into Join by Location to develop the tables, this is basically like an Add Join using location relationships instead of a matching key field.

You probably want to also try the Summary Statistics and Table to Table tools to get the outputs that you want. 

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

or ModelBuilder you could definitely iterate over each parcel and get the results Iterate Feature Selection—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop but I wonder if it is overworking the solution.

A spatial join could definitely grab some of those staistics (e.g. summing up shape_length of features within each parcel) Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

The beauty of the tool is you can control a field mapping - right-click on the SHAPE_LENGTH field in the tool and select 'SUM' as the merge rule.  After the output table is generated, I would then use field calculator Making simple field calculations—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to do the maths on feet to miles.

If a bit cautious, create a small subset of your datasets to try everything out with.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try replacing Get Count tool with Frequency. Ensure that the frequency field refers to the "Category" field whose count you want to determine, if any. If a summary field is specified, the unique attribute values of the frequency calculation are summarized by the numeric attribute values of each summary field. The output will be in the form of a table, which can then be exported to Excel/CSV, of needed.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanielMoye
New Contributor II

I am currently not able to use that tool because of the current licensing I have. I will be upgrading soon though so I will try the Frequency tool once my licensing allows for more tools. Thank you!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Daniel, you can do the same thing with the Summary Statistics tool, which does not require an Advanced license.

DanielMoye
New Contributor II

Could you give me more information on how to do that through Summary Statistics? That would be a big help!

0 Kudos