"Add Field" and "Selection" Data Management Tools Produce Composite Data Type

03-15-2018 07:31 AM
ErikWright
New Contributor II

I am constructing a geoprocessing Model in ArcGIS 10.4.1 using a file geodatabase of file gdb feature classes and a toolbox. I am stuck because the "Add Field" ,"Select by Location" and "Select by Attribute" tools produce a "Composite" data type regardless of the input, a data type that makes no sense considering I have never used it before. No matter what workspace I used (local, network, etc.), this occurs. I don't have issues with other tools in the data management toolset, or in any other toolsets. If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate this as its incredibly frustrating - my deliverables need to be in a model format so clients can use them. There does not seem to be any resources online tackling this issue.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

ٍStill the problem not clear for me. could you more clarify the question. Attach screenshot for the problem that will be helpful.

0 Kudos
ErikWright
New Contributor II

Hi Abdullah, many thanks for your response. Here are a couple screenshots taken of Add Field tool in a brand new geoprocessing model. The output feature class is "Composite" instead of a feature class. This does not change when I connect a feature class as the input.  See below that a working model containing only file geodatabase feature classes producing the same issue. I have never used a composite before so I am quite confused why this is happening.  I tried packaging the model and sending it to a colleague who then observed the issue as well from his work station. Let me know if you can offer any insight

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

I don't see that is a problem.

Composite layer it is common thing in model builder. It is because the output maybe  many data type.

Such as ADD Field the output may be feature class or table view ..etc. So the output is composite

I created many model with composite output and didn't cause any problem.

What the problem with you ?

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

I don't have issues with other tools in the data management toolset, or in any other toolsets

The composite output  is the output of the following Data management tools (as i know):

Data Management Tools

Fields

1. Add Field
  2. Add Incrementing ID Field
  3. Assign Default To Field
  4. Calculate Field
  5. Delete Field

Layers and Table Views

1.    Make Query Table

2.    Make table view

3.   Select layer By Location

4.   Select layer By Attribute