Modelbuilder output feature class to newly created geodatabase

09-20-2018 07:29 AM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

I have a simple question I need the 'New Feature' output to be located in the '1_ExportedFromS" GDB. I cannot get these 2 to "connect" as every time I do so I get an error stating "can only connect a variable to a process."

What type of variable do I need? The '1_ExportedFromS' GDB is not created until the model has ran, so I cannot enter that path...correct?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One thought that immediately comes to mind is to break this into two models.  While this will not immediately resolve your issue, it will prevent some others that you may not be aware of.  One typically does not want to involve many processes that don't need to be rerun over and over with an Iterator, as every time the Iterator fires it will typically try to process everything in the model again.

Instead, break this into two models, then create a third one to link the two models.  This way the first part - the processes leading up the Iterator - only run once, and will then exist for the second model to access when it Iterates.

In terms of your original question, there are a few potential solutions.  I suspect the solution is one of these, but you will have to play with it a bit with your particular data.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Chris! I could break these into two model and that would be an easy solution; however, this model will be ran several time as we are preforming a data migration (a whole other story). Basically I need a dozen or so feature classes are in need of "clean-up."

0 Kudos