Model Builder executes tool sequence without regard to preconditions OR skips tools

06-18-2020 01:08 PM
Anne-MarieDubois1
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

A new issue has come to my attention lately. Has anyone ever experience a situation where a model builder executes a sequence without "following the little golden brick road"? By this I mean that, technically, if a tool uses the output of another tool, it should not execute itself before the latter one is done. The same goes is you are using a precondition.

But it seems that, somehow, I'm working some evil magic. 

Here is the last model I've built:Model

Basically, the model clips a raster based on polygon selection, extracts the minimum value and uses it to create a feature point of that pixel. Then, the coordinates of that point are passed back to the polygon via field calculations. Everything worked fine, except that I mixed up the expression in the tool circled in red. It should have calculated the minimum value (%Property%) instead of the ID (%Value%).

Here are the messages I got:messages from the model

However, after that I corrected my tool to calculate the proper value, it seems that the model refuses to complete the sequence properly. It's like some of the tools are just completely ignored. 

messages of the model with skips

I have seriously scratch my head over this for the last few weeks since it happened at least 2 other times. On one of those occasions, instead of skipping tools, it's like the model was executing the sequence in the wrong order, stoping and starting new branches randomly. Each time, the tool was working perfectly fine and then, after I made a small change, it's like the model went AWOL. I've tried closing arcmap, rebooting my computer, copying the model in a new, adding more precondition. Nothing worked. In the end, the only way to make it work was to use the model in the open window mode (when you press the "play" button in model builder, instead of launching through the geoprocessing).  Unfortunately, this time I can't let it pass since it's a submodel. It HAS to work so I can insert it into the main model.

Please, has anyone any idea what is happening with my models?

Thanks a bunch!

0 Replies