how to Iterate files and iterate features

07-27-2017 03:36 AM
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have a folder with 4 primary shape files. Each shapefile has a field "direction". I want to split each primary shapefile based on the field direction which has 4 (NSEW) directions. So the output should be 4x4 = 16 shape files. 

I am able to input one primary shapefile and use iterate feature selection to split "one" shapefile to  "four" shape files. But I am not able to loop to the second primary shapefile ( of the 4 original files in my folder). 

how can I make this work? Please guide.

Srirama

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try Iterate Feature Classes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop since shapefiles are a type of feature classes. Also you might need to use the in-line variable.

The tool has two outputs: Output Feature Class and Name, which could be used as in-line variable (e.g. %Name%) in other tools.

Think Location
RamB
by

Hi,

Yes, I did that, but  since only one iterator is allowed in a model, I created a submodel.   Here in the image, on the right is iterate feature class, then for each feature class, I am calling a sub model that splits each feature class and "copy features" to a shapefile.

I think my data is getting overwritten, because i see the values of the fourth layer as the final output.

Not sure where I am doing it wrong.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Write %n% in the end of the path of model1 output . to prevent overwrite.

0 Kudos