How do you join (or dissolve) a line segment to its neighbour that is the shortest?

02-20-2017 07:34 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, what I am trying to do is join/merge/dissolve a line segment (part of one line feature class) to its closest shortest line (within the same feature) 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Do you mean separate lines in one record, or auto matching between two closest lines?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

auto matching between two lines. Basically imagine there are 3 line segments in a row (10m, 5m & 15m) I want the 5m segment to dissolve into the 10m segment. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

dissolve and unsplit line offer nothing?  how many features do you have to do and how many times do you have to do this?  seems like a bit of overkill to try to develop a model for this unless it is needed because of some issue with your incoming data source

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't use unsplit line because of licence level. (see above comment which describes what I want to do). I have to do this for around 1000 line segments.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

solve it with topology

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remind me how that can be done?

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

see that link:

Geodatabase topology rules and topology error fixes—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

Read Line rules ,

Must Not Have Dangles

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

wouldn't that just handle dangles and not the case where the shortest segment may be between two other segments as in the case in the example of 10, 5, 15 that Tim used?  Basically I can think of too many exceptions to a rule set, I don't suppose dissolving them then resplitting using positionAlong (ie 50% or something) would be any use.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

I am not choose that rule , because the lines have dangles. but the method of solve dangles (Extend)

He can use extend to match closest line.

0 Kudos