Buffer a Selected parcel, run Intersect on Buffer and Parcels

Jump to solution
03-22-2018 09:28 AM
ChrisMartinez
New Contributor III

This seems like it should be straight forward, but it's not coming together for some reason.  We would like to be able to select a parcel, kick off model builder which will apply a buffer, then run intersect with the buffer and parcel layer as inputs.  I was hoping for something as easy as this: 

The intersect fails saying "aborted by User" which I didn't.  Any insights anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-CM

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisMartinez
New Contributor III

Curtis thank you for your input.  I did eventually get this to work by doing the following:

The concept I was missing was the use of the Make Feature Layer. I read the documentation, but it wasn't clicking for me.  Looking at other Models in this forum and seeing how it is implemented is what finally made the pieces fall into place.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChrisMartinez
New Contributor III

I realized that I didn't have my Parcel Feature as an input for the Intersect.  Once I did this, I got it to run, but the Intersect returned nothing.

I'm not sure if I have to somehow select the newly created buffer before I run the Intersect in order to get a result.  Any insights?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would right click the Buffer_Output and Parcel_Feature datasets and add to map ('add to display' in arcmap) and make sure the Buffer Output and Parcel Feature datasets actually overlap. 

I'm thinking the most likely thing is you did not have a feature selected when you ran the tool, so the Buffer_Output had no features in it.

ChrisMartinez
New Contributor III

Curtis thank you for your input.  I did eventually get this to work by doing the following:

The concept I was missing was the use of the Make Feature Layer. I read the documentation, but it wasn't clicking for me.  Looking at other Models in this forum and seeing how it is implemented is what finally made the pieces fall into place.