ArcPro 3.0 model not displaying output during run

Jump to solution
08-25-2022 04:40 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I have a model in ArcMap which I use to demonstrate the power of models and automation in a presentation I sometimes give. I have migrated this model into ArcPro 3.0.

Whilst the model runs without error and creates the correct output and selection I have noticed a difference in behaviour and I'm hoping one of the ESRI modelbuilder team can confirm this is actual behaviour or just some "glitch in the matrix"?

Some of the outputs apply a layerfile so when the layer loads into the map its nicely displayed rather than taking on some default symbology. I show below how I assign this property

DuncanHornby_0-1661427077496.png

In ArcMap, the layer loads with the assigned symbology and is displayed immediately whilst the model is running. So as the model runs through to competition you see the layers build up in the map. Nice, just what I want and shows off modelbuilder!

In ArcPro I see the layers get added to the TOC with the assigned symbology but the map does not refresh to display the layers until the model completes. In other words all the layers that are loaded into the map during model execution show all at once at the end of the model run, not as they are created and added to the map.

Is this the way it is supposed to run and I have to just live with the difference?

Duncan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

not from what I can see

ModelBuilder options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

When running a model in the ModelBuilder window, you can add output datasets to a map by right-clicking an output data variable and selecting Add To Display. If the tool has already run, the data is added to the map. If the tool has not yet run, the data is added to the map after the tool runs.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

not from what I can see

ModelBuilder options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

When running a model in the ModelBuilder window, you can add output datasets to a map by right-clicking an output data variable and selecting Add To Display. If the tool has already run, the data is added to the map. If the tool has not yet run, the data is added to the map after the tool runs.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think the OP needs to live with it. I would guess this change was made because of the new multi-threaded architecture of ArcGIS Pro - the addition of layers to the map is called after the geoprocessing thread is done doing its work (running the model).

0 Kudos