How can I simulate location and movement on an iPad?

Jump to solution
06-02-2020 10:16 AM
BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

Maybe this is a question better suited for Apple forums, but I'll ask it here anyway. Hopefully someone else has dealt with this and has a solution.

I'm very new to app development and I am looking for a way to simulate my location on my work iPad (and maybe even movement along a route) for testing and demonstration purposes. It's a work device and so is my computer, so both have some restrictions in place by our IT department. Also, after some internet research, I am using a PC (not Mac) computer, so I can't do the developer things through iOS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brandon,

Apple doesn't allow you to mock your locations at the OS level (unlike Android).  You can do that for testing purposes in Xcode Device Simulator.  The general way to approach this is to have an object handle location information in your application and make it configurable to either read the system location provider or handle an alternate input source (such as a file) and then use that object to pass location into the app.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brandon,

Apple doesn't allow you to mock your locations at the OS level (unlike Android).  You can do that for testing purposes in Xcode Device Simulator.  The general way to approach this is to have an object handle location information in your application and make it configurable to either read the system location provider or handle an alternate input source (such as a file) and then use that object to pass location into the app.

BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for the tips.  I'll look into something else to handle location and simulate using that.

0 Kudos