Will group layers is web maps be available in Entreprise and AGOL web mapping interface?

Jump to solution
07-03-2018 11:43 AM
deleted-user-udzCjhN-JG4h
New Contributor

Group Layers in web maps

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

Yes. The concept of Group Layers is inside of the JavaScript 4.x API now (GroupLayer | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.8 ) and when the JS 4.x API meets functional equivalency with 3.x, the Home app as well as other parts of the platform will be updated to support group layers. This is a big development project and not likely to see release until late 2019 at best.

Jeff

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

Yes. The concept of Group Layers is inside of the JavaScript 4.x API now (GroupLayer | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.8 ) and when the JS 4.x API meets functional equivalency with 3.x, the Home app as well as other parts of the platform will be updated to support group layers. This is a big development project and not likely to see release until late 2019 at best.

Jeff

deleted-user-NhgGTfs-7gLG
New Contributor III

Hi Jeff, Building on this another key feature for us is groups with mutually exclusive layer visibility so when one layer turns on all the other layers in the group turn off. As an example we have layers derived from geologic block models that have multiple parameters (e.g. iron, alumina, grades, etc.) that the geologist wants to show with different color ramps. Since each layer references the same data, just with different symbology, they are impossible to view simultaneously and the user has an awkward two-click process to switch between them. Is this coming in the same time frame?

0 Kudos
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Roger,

I can pass this requirement on to the JS API team. Can you provide me with an example (screenshots would help) on how you do this today with Desktop?

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
deleted-user-NhgGTfs-7gLG
New Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

Here's are screenshots from Pro as an example. The site geologist published a map service to ArcGIS Server with a variety of relevant data and shared a link to it on ArcGIS Online for others to use with the Explorer app, apps made with Web App Builder, and the AGOL map viewer. Essentially everything under the Benchmaps group uses the same source data derived from the geologic block model but presents it with different symbology for each geologic model parameter of interest. In Pro I can Alt-click a check box and it will turn that layer on and all the others in the same subgroup off. What we'd like in ArcGIS Online and mobile apps (and Pro too really) is a way to make those check boxes into radio buttons so only one layer in the group can be visible at once.

-Roger

0 Kudos
BrookeWikgren
New Contributor

Hi Jeff, I was just wondering if you've heard anymore of the integration of Group Layers in the WebAppBuilder?  You had replied to Rebecca a while back thinking the release would be late 2019 at best.  Since it's now early 2020, I was wondering if you know of any update on when that might be coming out?

Thanks!

Brooke

"Hi Rebecca,

Yes. The concept of Group Layers is inside of the JavaScript 4.x API now (GroupLayer | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.8 ) and when the JS 4.x API meets functional equivalency with 3.x, the Home app as well as other parts of the platform will be updated to support group layers. This is a big development project and not likely to see release until late 2019 at best."

0 Kudos