Sharing Web Maps and Layers

05-20-2019 08:45 AM
LukeThompson
New Contributor

I am having trouble being able to share my web map from Arc Pro to ArcOnline.  I get error message 00230 Service layer has a different projection than the maps projection.  

All layers that I work with are in this projection: 

NAD 1983 StatePlane Alabama East FIPS 0101 Feet

Transverse Mercator

D North American 1983

Its not really feasible for me to change the projection for all of my files since this is the projection that we work in site wide. 

Also, what is the best work flow for having data automatically update to a operational dashboard? Currently I will edit a file in ArcPro, share it to ArcOnline, and Overwrite the previous file.  This in turn erases the data that was set up in the operational dashboard instead of updating it with the new edits. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Luke,

In regards to your second question, there are a couple of routes for you to edit data in an Operations Dashboard.  One of the better ways is to edit the feature service either through ArcGIS Pro, a web map/app, or a mobile application such as Survey123/Collector for ArcGIS.  Depending on your workflow, one of these methods might be preferable to another.

Other ways for you to update features in ArcGIS Online include overwriting in ArcGIS Pro (which you mentioned already doing), deleting and appending features in ArcGIS Pro, and using the update data tool in the item details page.

I am having trouble being able to share my web map from Arc Pro to ArcOnline.  I get error message 00230 Service layer has a different projection than the maps projection.  

Data shared to ArcGIS Online must be in WGS 1984 Web Mercator.  When you publish your data it will be transformed.  I think that the best workflow here would be to continue working in your current projection, until the data is ready to be shared.  Then share it to ArcGIS Online as WGS 1984 Web Mercator for web visualization purposes.

In the future, ArcGIS Enterprise might be worth exploring as you have greater control over publishing services using different projections.  Ultimately, when the data is viewed in a webmap or application, such as operations dashboard, it will be projected as Web Mercator.

0 Kudos
LukeThompson
New Contributor

Hi Matt,

I have been updating the feature in Arc Pro.  However, it is not updating in ArcOnline.  If I share and overwrite the feature, the operational dashboard will need to be rebuilt again.  Is there a certain way to update in Arc Pro where it will automatically update the feature in ArcOnline and in turn update the operational dashboard?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Luke,

Are you editing the feature class that is local (i.e. FGDB, SHP) or are you editing the feature service.  When you publish the first time, you will then want to bring the feature service back into the map in ArcGIS Pro.   You can find info about searching your ArcGIS Online for data here.

Let me know if that works for you!

Thanks,

Matt Ballard

0 Kudos
LukeThompson
New Contributor

Matt, 

I was able to add the feature class from the portal!  however, when I go to make an edit in the attribute table, it will not allow me to edit. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The default when publishing is to make a layer not-editable so that edits aren't made by mistake.  You need to enable editing which can be done through the item settings page or when publishing from ArcGIS Pro.

After you make these modifications, remove and add the layer back to your map in ArcGIS Pro so that it can take on the newly applied settings.

Thanks,

Matt Ballard

0 Kudos