Is it possible to measure Dip and Strike with ArcGIS Field Maps

12-16-2020 01:23 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a customer looking to further their use of Field Maps in geological exploration. One of the comments from the team was that they'd like the ability to record dip and strike angles of rock faces directly from their mobile device.
In creating a new feature layer in ArcGIS Online I can see the GPS fields that can be generated and automatically populated by the field device, but I don't see anywhere than an inclination angle can be recorded by default. Are there any suggestions on how this might be achieved in ArcGIS Field Maps?

4 Replies
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi mapguy83,

You can add fields to your hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online for strike and dip as float values.

Here is a How to: Add a field to your hosted feature layer by ESRI: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012167

Data consumed by the application should update on a connection refresh/application restart.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi LongDinh,

Absolutely agree that adding additional fields would be required.
Unfortunately in this case we're interested in bringing attributes directly from the device sensors if held as though the user had a geologist's compass.

0 Kudos
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

You can use Survey123 to bring in the Compass widget which uses the device's onboard sensors (if available) to take measurements (automatically, or on user click). Your Survey123 Form can be directly linked to a Hosted Feature Layer's fields (e.g. ${dip}, ${strike}) and can be taken offline for field use.

I believe the actual data in the XLSForm is something like:

pulldata(@geopoints, ${dip}, "GPSImageDirection")

Here's a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3HIFhJ3OSI&ab_channel=EarlyAdopterCommunity

AlexMangl1
New Contributor

I wish using the phones onboard sensors for measuring strike/dip was possible in Arc Fieldmaps!