Are there any tutorials on how to import data sets off of public gis platforms?

05-04-2020 08:25 AM
Labels (3)
DustinBrownlow
New Contributor

For example, I am trying to understand how to import data sets from the Texas Railroad Commission website. See link  Texas RRC - Data Sets Available for Download 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Did you try clicking on the Hyperlink below where is says download data

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Under where is says download. Click on the hyperlink

Say for example you click on Pipeline Layers by County. 

If using Internet explorer click on the Page drop down menu and then Open FTP site in File Explorer

Or you can just click on Pipelines and you will see zipped files for each county.  You can click on the zip file you need and it will download it.  If you open it in File Explorer you can down load them all  at one time.

0 Kudos
DustinBrownlow
New Contributor

Robert, 

For the "Pipeline Layers" that works just fine, however if I try "Well Layers by County" I get the following message. Apologies up front as well...I am a bit new the platform. I click "hosted layers" but from there not real sure how to proceed as the zip file is made up of several different formated files

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

ArcGIS Online will only display a couple thousand features at one time.  And there are probably many many thousand wells in Texas.

Do this instead.  From ArcGIS Online where you go to add the data.  Choose instead to search ArcGIS Online

In the search type in 

TCEQ_Public_Water_System_Wells

and add them to your map.  However, you may still  get the error. You need to then go to setting and change the visibility scale so they are not all visible when the whole state is on screen.

If that is the wrong well layer you can just search for Texas Wells.  But there are 228 layers that match that.

0 Kudos