Is it possible to define a custom metadata style / standard in ArcGIS Pro?

11-21-2018 05:18 AM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

The Government of Canada has developed the Harmonized North American Profile (HNAP) of ISO 19115:2003. It extends ISO 19115:2003 (NAP), mainly to include bilingual data elements, but also specific codelists, keywords, organization names, and other business rules.

Specifically to bilingual data elements, HNAP specifies that, for example, the title must be represented in both English and in French. It does so by modifying the representation in ISO 19115:2003 (NAP):

<identificationInfo>
    <MD_DataIdentification>
        <citation>
            <CI_Citation>
                <title>
                    <gco:CharacterString>English Title</gco:CharacterString>
                </title>
            </CI_Citation>
        </citation>
    </MD_DataIdentification>
</identificationInfo>

as follows:

<identificationInfo>
    <MD_DataIdentification>
        <citation>
            <CI_Citation>
                <title>
                    <gco:CharacterString>English Title</gco:CharacterString>
                    <PT_FreeText>
                        <textGroup>
                            <LocalisedCharacterString local="#fra">Titre français</LocalisedCharacterString>
                        <textGroup>
                    </PT_FreeText>
                </title>
            </CI_Citation>
        </citation>
    </MD_DataIdentification>
</identificationInfo>

However, when the latter is imported into ArcGIS, then exported back to XML, these extra tags have been stripped from the metadata record.

So, my question is, can ArcGIS Pro be extended to support extensions to the supported metadata standards and styles?

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jonathan, is this the reference you are following?

Create NAP metadata—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Sort of. NAP is close to what I need, but HNAP is a modification of NAP.

Jon.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I hear the Pro team is currently working on a Metadata SDK to add this functionality there (not yet).  The code seems to require XML 2.x namespaces (gco:) so I'm pretty sure this would never be supported by the 1.x parser ArcMap uses.

This is a national standard so I would take this up with tech support @ Esri Canada, they may already be looking into coordinating development of stylesheets and transformations for this new profile. I'm guessing this is new so you need to push for adding this to Esri software, it would be way too much work to grow your own. Maybe put an idea up on Geonet and get fellow Canadians to help vote it up!

jkersting
New Contributor II

Hi @JonathanBailey  I'm interested in understanding your solution for this. Have you solved your requirement for interfacing with the HNAP format?