Travel database record

Jump to solution
01-11-2023 10:10 AM
IvanHurst
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have built a number of basic story maps to do with Family Trees and history.

I am now hoping to expand my knowledge and develop something more extensive.

Currently I have a Joomla website to record my Travelogue. Home (ivanhurst.me.uk)

It has a database section which has records of places visited and border crossings together with Lat Long and dates. This is constructed using Fabrik, and extension build for Joomla 3 which is at end of life.

The database is boring and has no life, it is just part of the background for the main articles. My Border crossings (ivanhurst.me.uk)

I think it could be brought to life in an ESRI Story Map.

Firstly if I download the data into Excel and then to CSV tables. The Tables could then be imported into Story Map, a world view. separate trips could then be chosen or selected which could then open a journey map for that trip.

An earlier ESRI Story Map, https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/c735857888af448dab694a69cd8e6180

Any hits as to how to start this, or if it is too much. I would like it to be all table based data which is updatable. Are there any examples of similar that you know of. I have not found any yet.

It is only for personal use.

Thanks

Ivan

Regards
Ivan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Welcome, Ivan!

It's exciting to see what you've done to document your travelogue so far! You're right that ArcGIS StoryMaps is a fantastic tool for the type of story documenting you have in mind.

I also want to say that we're glad to have you here in Esri Community. Consider this platform to be your go-to spot for discussing all things GIS — a virtual gathering place where you can find solutions, share ideas, and collaborate to solve problems with the help of members from all around the globe.

Please be sure to check out the following Community-use resources to get you started: 

Something you might consider doing is creating another post with your question about Excel and CSV tables to our ArcGIS StoryMaps Questions Board, where it's more likely to be seen and responded to by members who can offer guidance.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about using Esri Community.

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Welcome, Ivan!

It's exciting to see what you've done to document your travelogue so far! You're right that ArcGIS StoryMaps is a fantastic tool for the type of story documenting you have in mind.

I also want to say that we're glad to have you here in Esri Community. Consider this platform to be your go-to spot for discussing all things GIS — a virtual gathering place where you can find solutions, share ideas, and collaborate to solve problems with the help of members from all around the globe.

Please be sure to check out the following Community-use resources to get you started: 

Something you might consider doing is creating another post with your question about Excel and CSV tables to our ArcGIS StoryMaps Questions Board, where it's more likely to be seen and responded to by members who can offer guidance.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about using Esri Community.

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
IvanHurst
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have updated the post and re-posted it in the location you suggested.

I am hopeful that the boring plain data can be presented in a much more interesting, engaging, and immersive way, using Story Maps.

Regards

Ivan

Regards
Ivan