Select to view content in your preferred language

Wondering why I am getting more attribute records when running Feature Class to Geodatabase tools than expected ... thanks

Jump to solution
10-25-2014 08:39 PM
RicM
by
New Contributor

Hello All,

I am using ArcMap 10 and wondering why I am getting more attribute records when running  Feature Class to Geodatabase
tool  than  I am expecting (I am thinking they ought to be identical but maybe I am wrong?).  What are the possible reason for
created layer ending up with a different number of records in attribute table compared to original?

I copied a Feature Layer from an SDE geodatabase to a Feature Layer of a newly created blank file geodatabase

using the ArcMap built in tool called Feature Class to Geodatabase but for some reason when I open up the attribute

table of the created Feature Layer, I am seeing that it has double the number of records as the original ...

I am somewhat new to Arcmap but from what I have seen as the result of my previous run of the same tool (Feature Class to Geodatabase)
on other feature layers, I always end up with an identical number of records which therefore is what I have learned to expect at this point in my
learning. 

Wondering what I need to watch out for so that I am guaranteed to always have identical number of features in both the original and created Feature Class when running the above tool?

All help and advise greatly appreciated ... thanks.

Gratefully,

Ric

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

strange, if the features were duplicated, then you would expect to see the same records duplicated.  In the table that had the duplicate records, where they all at the end or one after the other? ie  record 0 was also record 1...record 2 was also record 3 etc etc ?  In either case, you could get rid of the duplicates within a copy of the file

0 Kudos
RicM
by
New Contributor

Yes, the records are exactly in the sequence it appears in the original and then repeated in the exact sequence at the end of the records shown in the attribute table so that  the records in the original is record1, record2, record3, record4  (left to right corresponding to top to bottom reading)  whereas the table with duplicates read thus:  record1, record2, record3, record4,  record1, record2, record3, record4 ... R

Right now I am thinking of running a tool called  Delete Identical (Data Management) ... I am trying to buy a license for it (it needs advanced) ... based on your experience ... would you be doing the same thing if you were in my shoes or  is there a more appropriate way of doing it? .. Thanks again

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Wow...I can't believe that the objected field has duplicate records!  If the last part is a duplicate, I would select the good ones and export to a new file before I spent any money.  I would go back to the source where you created the file in the first place and try again with a subsample first to test the principles...perhaps on another dataset...if you get this weirdness again, then the fault is in getting the data in the first place.  So if you can't subset on unique ID's either via a query (ie objected less than ???) or manually selecting it is too much, then go back to the source.

0 Kudos
RicM
by
New Contributor

Thanks so much for all your help ... your technique worked like a charm .. I  owe you big time  ...  thanks again

0 Kudos