text or label colors overlay imagery in background Question

12-18-2018 08:03 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I recall there was a blog or an article that shows you the text colors overlay the imagery background a few years ago.  I had that web page saved to my bookmarked. I googled it and could not find it ? I think it was done by an ESRI ....

I am wondering if it is still existing or if it was taken it out ?

Thanks 

The reason for asking is because I am working on Labels and Annotation with imagery in background. The article I read had some text colors that they showed everyone the examples coloras with an imagery in background.

Do you recall that ?  

Dan PattersonChris Donohue, GISPTed KowalDarren Wiens

P.S. Update as of 10:04 am MDT , I googled and found this which is closer to this from Mapbox   

https://blog.mapbox.com/designing-labels-for-satellite-and-aerial-imagery-7036163aa21 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not familiar with the reference material you mention. However, I typically solve text over imagery issues by using a text halo to provide separation between background (the imagery) and foreground (the text).

Best Regards,

Jim

TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

As Jim Cousins mentioned... text halo/mask is the way to go on background imagery.  Do not necessarily choose a white halo on coloured background but sympathetic colors to match the background.  I found this site useful and does have some examples....

Cartographic Tips For Creating Beautiful Maps With ArcMap · Alex Urquhart