Offsetting lines without using representations so can link to Excel spreadsheet

04-29-2015 01:27 AM
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there

I have a question relating to Arcmap 10.0 and 10.3. I have an excel spreadsheet of attribute data relating to footways and carriageways of roads and footpaths.

In the spreadsheet headings are as follows:

section ID / section description / left hand footway planned year of works / right hand footway planned year of works / carriageway planned year of works.

The idea is that I then link that spreadsheet to an existing SDE layer containing the section IDs and display the data.

I need to offset the left and right hand footways. Previously I converted the Excel spreadsheet to a file Geodatabase and used representations.

However a colleague is often updating the Excel spreadsheet and it would be far more helpful if I could now just work directly with the Excel spreadsheet. Is their any way of offsetting the lines without using representations, so that the left and right hand footways are offset?

I can if needs be create new feature classes with the lines permanently offset for the left and right hand footways. If so how would I do that.

I'm using ArcMap 10.0 but can use ArcMap 10.3 if that's the only way to archive this.

Thanks for reading

Tim

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Tim, the Copy Parallel command should be able to do this for you: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00q80000001q000000

TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Sarah

Thank you for your reply. I do not have the 3D Analyst extension nor could I justify money being spent just to do this piece of work.

There is however a copy parallels option in the editor menu. Would that do a similar job to this?

Kind regards

Tim

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Yes, that should work fine, as long as you pay attention to the direction of your lines as outlined in this help file: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)