MAPLEX to annotation bug

11-22-2012 06:30 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

I am actually trying ArcGIS 10 Desktop for my organization in order to evaluate the benefits to migrate to ESRI's technology in a near future. Actually, we are using MapInfo and FME. One of our main interest in ArcGIS is the possibility to use MAPLEX for automatic label positioning.

I have noticed a bug (or something undesirable) when we convert MAPLEX labels to annotations. If we use the stake labels option in MAPLEX, when we modify the field labeled in the linked feature class of this annotation, the annotation text loose the line feed. The annotation will be written on one line even if MAPLEX had setted it on 2 or 3 lines.

Maybe you will say its normal because annotations are not dynamic and MAPLEX works on dynamic lebels only, but this behaviour is very undesirable... MAPLEX would become useless to me.

Is there a solution?

Maxime Demers
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Maxime,

When you edit feature attributes, the feature-linked annotation will update, but the results may not be the same as you are basically labeling a single feature in isolation; the label engine has no knowledge of the other features. Having said that, Maplex should try and place labels stacked rather than in one long line.

If you could post a screenshot of your problem, or even better, submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services, an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you.
http://support.esri.com/en/
Thanks,
0 Kudos