Is there an issue with Maplex Label Engine and Label Expression?

03-02-2017 02:25 PM
MarkHotz
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS 10.4.1.  I have tried to search the web for someone who has had a similar issue, but I cannot find one.  I seem to be having an issue when trying to create a label expression in ArcMap.  ArcMap freezes, but only when I have Maplex Label Engine turned on.  If I turn Maplex Label Engine off I can use the Label Expression option.

Is this a known bug, or perhaps something else that I need to fix at my end to get this to work?  I have used the label expression option before…this is the first time it has given me issues.

Suggestions?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I haven't heard of that, and I'm using Maplex with a simple label expression right now in ArcMap 10.4.1. Is there anything unusual about your expression? Are you sure you're using the correct parser? 

MarkHotz

Darren:

Thanks for the response...it is appreciated.  Knowing that someone else is using the exact same version of the software and is able to use the label expression tool without issue gave me reason to dig deeper :-).  I might have now stumbled (i.e. accidentally) on what "might" have been causing me grief. When I reviewed Placement Properties I experimented by turning off the Maplex "Stack label" option and then my code "text: " & [Field 1] &vbnewline& "text: " & [Field 2] worked.  Perhaps I inadvertently stumbled on a bug, or perhaps one is not supposed to use "Stack label" and "vbnewline" simultaneously?  In any case now the software is doing what it is supposed to be doing...that only had me stumped for an afternoon :-/.

Thanks again

MarkHotz

Darren:

I should add that I was initially trying to label polygons.  When I converted the feature to points and labelled that it worked much better (i.e. more options available).

0 Kudos