How to maintain symbology, definition query, and label expression when changing join source

Jump to solution
11-05-2014 09:51 AM
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

Hello all,

Huge question, that is somewhat time sensitive.  We have created 3 mxd's in a DEV environment with a lot of symbology classes, definition queries, and label expressions all based off the Joined data fields.  Now that we have moved to TEST, our source for the joins need to be connected to an oracle TNS name of TST instead of DEV.

The issue is when I remove the current join, I lose all of those definitions. If I try to add the new join first, and then remove the old one, it removes both. Why can't I ONLY remove the old join and keep the new one? This would keep all the definitions in place and switch the source.

Is there a way to just UPDATE the join data source instead of deleting it.

I would hate to have to save individual layer files for symbology,  individual expressions for labels for each feature, and then save the definition queries as well, then manually re apply everything.

I hope I am missing something simple here... someone PLEASE help!

Thanks,

Zach!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

In short, I was told this was not possible based on the direction of by data source changes and the data source. ( Called Esri Support)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KishorGhatage
Occasional Contributor III

Take backup of your MXD and try changing data sources:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Hope this helps

Kishor

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Wouldn't saving your layer as a layer file, then re-load it, do what you want to do?

As long as all the field names are the same, the symbology should work fine.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Yes, this would work, but the OP was looking for an automated way, since he has 3 mxds and a lot of symbology classes.

0 Kudos
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

In short, I was told this was not possible based on the direction of by data source changes and the data source. ( Called Esri Support)