How to display an attribute with color ramp and line thickness

10-11-2016 09:51 AM
JulianBiland
New Contributor

I have a roads layer with an Attribute "traffic frequency". How can I display the traffic frequency with both a color ramp and a line thickness? I have tried in Symbology / Multiple Attributes / Quantity by Category, but it seems not possible to display both line thickness and color at the same time.

I'm using ArcMAP 10.2.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Working with color ramps—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop would allow you to change the color, but have you tried it, then modified the line thickness?  How many line thickness classes do you have that changing those individually would be too much?

JulianBiland
New Contributor

I have 30 line thickness classes. Yes I can give to each Symbol a specific Color, but the Color differences between the classes will not exactly be the same. How can I give to these 30 classes an individuell Color that matches a Color ramp?

I could also in the first place apply a Color ramp, make 30 classes, and then Change the line thickness individually for each class. But when I want to Change the amount of classes, I have to Change again everything manually.

How can I both apply a Color ramp and different line thicknesses in an automatic way?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that is indeed a lot of classes for both color and line thickness and I am assuming from your additional information you need all the classes.  I have no answer but perhaps some of the others that have viewed the thread might have a suggestion as to how to do this automatically.