How to apply styles from a style file automatically?

03-27-2013 08:38 AM
VaL
by
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have a style file with few hundred items in it (points, lines and polygons). All my data have a code field and each feature in it has a code that links to the style file. Normally I apply the styles by clicking properties>symbology>categories>match to symbols in a style, select the style file, then select the code field and press match symbols. It all works great for small number of TOC items.
My question is is it possible a tool (button of the toolbar) to be created to do the above automatically for all TOC layers.
Or even better automatically at the time of adding new data to the TOC?
Any suggestions welcome.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Vasil,

This is currently not supported through arcpy.mapping, I would suggest voting this idea up as it addresses what you are looking for.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
VaL
by
New Contributor III
Hi Vasil,

This is currently not supported through arcpy.mapping, I would suggest voting this idea up as it addresses what you are looking for.

Best,
Melanie S.

Thanks for that Melanie. I wasn't particularly meaning arcpy.mapping. I was more general - can this be done using arc objects and c#?
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
It may even be possible with arcpy.mapping along with Python Addins (for trapping events).  Check out the following topic:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/StyleItem/00s30000006z000000/

Jeff
0 Kudos