Everything is displayed upside-down when using 180° data frame rotation

Jump to solution
09-29-2016 07:18 AM
PatricePineault1
New Contributor III

How do I manage data frame rotation properly?

I can set the rotation for just about everything, but is there a way to just rotate everything by default when using the data frame rotation?

The biggest problem though is that the north arrow is pointing the correct rotation, but the text in it is upside down. How to I make it point in the correct direction AND keep the text (N, S, E, W) NOT upside-down?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

North Arrows actually use marker symbols, which can be character based as the ones in the default Esri style do (using the Esri north arrow font), or can be picture markers or any other type of marker symbol, including multi-layer markers. The letters are part of the symbol so they rotate when the symbol rotates. If you have specific angles that you often use, like the 180 rotation you mention as an example, you could create a symbol in which the NSEW letters are right side when the marker is rotated upside down and use that for your north arrow in that particular case.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have to laugh.

"Everything is displayed upside-down when using 180° data frame rotation"

Well what did you expect?

As regards the north arrows, they appear to be bit maps or something. So even if you convert them to graphics, they remain as one object. I suppose you could paste some text on top of the letters.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

North Arrows actually use marker symbols, which can be character based as the ones in the default Esri style do (using the Esri north arrow font), or can be picture markers or any other type of marker symbol, including multi-layer markers. The letters are part of the symbol so they rotate when the symbol rotates. If you have specific angles that you often use, like the 180 rotation you mention as an example, you could create a symbol in which the NSEW letters are right side when the marker is rotated upside down and use that for your north arrow in that particular case.

0 Kudos
PatricePineault1
New Contributor III

I was kind of feeling funny too when writing this

0 Kudos