Does anyone know if there is a modern day version of a region coverage?

03-22-2016 09:31 AM
TedBrown
New Contributor II

"Back in the day" there was something called a region that allowed you to symbolize multiple features as one feature based on an attribute.  For example, symbolizing the contiguous United States as one polygon instead of 48 individual polygons without creating a new dataset.  Does something like this still exist?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Well, maybe. We called our Redlands co-ed league softball team the "Node-Errors" for a reason.  I still curse American Airlines for losing the bag containing that softball shirt (which featured a pseudonode at 2nd base, and a pair of dangles at 3rd base).

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Classic!    And who ever ended up with the shirt wouldn't even know what it meant.    I still have a GridLock (band) t-shirt that they gave away at the UC rodeo back in '89 or '90 I think. 

[of course now we are really getting off topic. ]

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

That was '90, my last year in Redlands. [And yes, we are way off-topic, since regions weren't introduced until 5.1Beta/6.0 in '92]

- V

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you should consider getting into dynamic segmentation? Then you could keep your transmission lines as a much smaller number of efficient lines and code your spans, segments, and circuits using measures. There may be some prefab data models out there for you to work from.  I realize this is a huge change but it is something to consider.