Displaying multiple label features in one feature class

07-09-2015 09:00 AM
KatyW
by
New Contributor III

Man I hope I typed out the title of this thread correctly! 

I'm trying to display multiple label fields like the one in the first image.  The feature class is underground nap in the splice closure layer.  I want to show the enc_size and fiberassignments as labels for the underground nap.  How do I do this?  I tired reading all kinds of resources on labeling and annotation but I'm falling short on understanding how the hell to do this!  I provided my MXD in the second image.

Thanks for the help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

You should be able to add a third label element. If the labels are stacked, all of them may not show in the “Verify” window. Some will scroll out of view, but will still draw. Have you tried drawing the map to see if all labels display as intended?

0 Kudos
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

Based on the info you provided, this expression should work:

[fiberassignments] & vbCrLf & "Size: " & [enc_size]

0 Kudos
RichEmerson
New Contributor III

remove the parenthesis surrounding the & symbol. Keep in mind that this

will put your text together without a space. Try the following to keep the

text from running together.

& " " &

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Hi Katherine,

Under Layer Properties>Labels>Expression, you can stack labels by using either a python or VB expression.

Python Example

[field1] + "\n" + [field2]

If either of your fields are numeric, you may need to make it like this

str([field1]) + "\n" + str([field2])

the \n is a carriage return string that makes a new line for the second field value.

RichEmerson
New Contributor III

In the labels tab open the Expression tab.

Assuming your field doesn't include the text "Size", you'll need to add that as well. The following should be entered into the expression box.

[fiberassignments] & " " & "Size: " & [enc_size]

If you have Maplex label engine you can add special characters within parentheses to force stacking of labels. You can set which characters to force stacking and set visibility of those characters and stacking behavior under the Fitting Strategy tab under the Placement Properties.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
CherieCockrell
New Contributor II

" I want to show the enc_size and fiberassignments as labels for the underground nap."

[fiberassignments] & " " & vbnewline & "Size: " & [enc_size]

0 Kudos
CherieCockrell
New Contributor II

Sorry you don't need the space " "

0 Kudos