Display all labels without overlap, how to disperse labels?

01-27-2021 12:11 PM
rub0t_ae
New Contributor

I think i must be missing something simple and have not been successful searching for a solution.  I am mapping about 80 points throughout my county.  Some of the points are very close together.  I wish to display all points regardless of scale.  My issue is i cannot seem to figure out how to disperse the labels so they do not overlap (see the image below).  What am I missing?  Is there a function to help me disperse the labels?

Running ArcGIS Pro 2.7.0

overlaping labels.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Label with the Maplex Label Engine—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

might give you more control over the conflict resolution.

0 Kudos
rub0t_ae
New Contributor

thanks for the reply, DavidPike.  I've spent quite a bit of time over the last couple days working through the conflict resolution options offered by the Maplex Label Engine.  I feel feature weights and key numbering have the most potential but neither gave be quite the outcome i was looking for.  I still have labels overlapping each other.  I see there is a marker disperse function but I'm hesitant to use it because i don't mind if the markers are overlapping...i just don't want their labels to overlap.

0 Kudos
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

Applying a feature weight along with the minimum and maximum offset properties will help in this situation, but very dense point clusters will still leave some labels unplaced. Here's an example similar to the original post that uses a feature weight of 500, with preferred and maximum offset to allow a range of leader lengths.

JesseWickizer_0-1651010603087.png