Converting Maplex Labels to Annotation feature class gives "general label error"

01-06-2012 12:40 PM
ChristiNelson1
Occasional Contributor
hi all,

any thoughts about why this might be happening, or a possible solution?  I ran the label manager "Summary" button and resolved duplicate SQL query issues on label classes and I took off the reference scale.  Any other suggestions to possibly get these labels converted to anno? Im using ArcGIS 10 ArcInfo level.

thx,
Christi
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Christi,

If you are getting the "general label error", it is probably due to a bug with the software. If you submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you. Providing a sample of your data would be helpful, especially if you can narrow down the problem to a single layer or feature.
http://support.esri.com/en/
0 Kudos
GregoryElwood
New Contributor II
Just loaded up version 10 this morning and I'm trying to create an annotation feature class from Maplex Label Engine generated labels. Getting a "General function error" prompt. Is that the same error as the one mentioned in this thread? Was this ever fixed? Do I really have to tell my boss that the new, pricey software upgrade doesn't work?

Some help here would be appropriate.

Gregory
0 Kudos
ChristiNelson1
Occasional Contributor
Hi Gregory,

Just checking:  did you install SP4 and the appropriate patches?
0 Kudos
GregoryElwood
New Contributor II
We did install SP4 and the Spatial Join patch. Did I miss a patch for Maplex or labelling?

Other considerations for all the ESRI software people who are reading this thread and not posting a reply:

The machine is a Dell Precision 690
The processor is the Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
The processor speed is 3.12 GHz
The RAM is 4096 MB

The OS is Windows XP Professional, version 5.1.2600

Yeah, yeah, I know, we're not on Windows 7 yet on this workstation. Times are tough all over, so one upgrade at a time. This still does not excuse ESRI for releasing V10 with a problem like this in it.

Gregory
0 Kudos
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Gregory,

If you have an error like this, there is not a lot we can do about it on the forum. You need to contact support with a sample of your data, so we can reproduce the problem and get to work on a fix.

If you could narrow down the problem to a specific feature layer, class, or even one bad feature, that would also be useful.

Thanks,
0 Kudos