Can you recommend a hand held GPS with vertical (elevation) accuracy of sub-meter

Jump to solution
04-09-2018 07:19 AM
Elijah
by
Occasional Contributor II
I am looking for a survey grade handheld GPS that can give me elevation measurement at a sub-meter accuracy. I currently use Garmin 72sc but elevation accuracy is poor. Please, suggest alternative to achieve such accuracy if necessary.

Regards,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

To answer fairly the Garmin 72sc  is more of a hobby GPS.  With something of that grade for GIS you can use online air photos to place features nearly as accurately.

However, for elevation you could simply use DEMS and or LIDAR generated contour lines to very closely acquire elevation.  But with a lower end GPS your placement accuracy may be off.

You may want to look at something like a Trimble GeoExplorer.  A budget friendly GPS unit that will result in very good accuracy.

You You

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

To answer fairly the Garmin 72sc  is more of a hobby GPS.  With something of that grade for GIS you can use online air photos to place features nearly as accurately.

However, for elevation you could simply use DEMS and or LIDAR generated contour lines to very closely acquire elevation.  But with a lower end GPS your placement accuracy may be off.

You may want to look at something like a Trimble GeoExplorer.  A budget friendly GPS unit that will result in very good accuracy.

You You

Elijah
by
Occasional Contributor II

Very many thanks Robert.

I searched through the Geo-explorer and finds it exciting. I was particularly interested in the GeoExplore 7x which appears to be the one with the highest resolution (1-100cm) in the Geoexplorer family.

However, I was wondering if same resolution is possible in the vertical dimension...i.e, will I be able to get 1-100cm accuracy when measuring elevation?? Have you used any of these before? Please, can you throw some more light.

Thanks